What type of mufflers fit the sx400 and what do they sound like?

Peterherold

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! I just got my bike and want a new muffler on it. I want it to sound nice like a sport bike. I was just wondering what Types of mufflers are out there and what ones will fit on my bike. Thanks for helping guys!

You're not going to get a twin cylinder, 9k rpm, carbureted bike to sound like a sport bike. But basically any slip on muffler with the proper ID will work. I've only used the emgo shorties, and they were pretty crappy. Burnt out the packing in 20 minutes. They sounded pretty good after I repacked them with fiberglass mat I had laying around. I've since switched to cone engineering products, they cost a little more but are well built.

I personally like the sound of the stock muffs. They're fairly quiet until you get on the pipe, and then they sound pretty sporty for a 2 cylinder.

Also ran emgo shorties but also repacked them; they sound decent when repacked. Right now I run a mac 2-1. It does not sound like a sport bike; it sounds like a crazy twin UJM :p A pretty unique sound, but good.

Back