Wheel bearings

foul

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stupid noob question: do new sealed wheel bearings require oil seals? When i install them do i still have to fill the wheel with grease?
The issue is i destroyed the seals when taking out bearings and i cant see them for sale anywhere.

all seals are still available from yamaha!

the new sealed bearings strickly don't need the seal, but it don't look right IMHO

No, the bearings are not special, one rear bearing even has a flange in it to make it fit the rear axel.
If i dig around a bit maybe i can find the Koyo part numbers for them cause i just bought them but threw away the boxes.

Measure the bearings and call a bearing plce, I'll bet they can supply them. I found the front bearings for my 400 at an auto parts store, they were just a common sealed bearing. I think the number on them was k6302 or something like that, and guess what, the 302 was the number I needed.

If you take the bearings to an auto parts or a "bearing and Industrial" shop,they'll be able to measure the old ones and sell you new ones.Like some knowledgeable person said in another post,pry the cover off and fill the bearing with good bearing grease. lha

I would just repack them but they did not come out easily so they are no longer rollers, more like knock and scrapers.

I always carefully pry off the plastic seals,and add wheel bearing grease.I changed my fronts on my dirt bike today,they were almost dry!!! lha

Back