where to but fork gaiters

skillzman1

XS400 Junkie
Reaction score
so I'm looking around and getting confused...where is the best place to get fork gaiters that will be a good fit for the sohc 400s.
theres a ton of options on ebay...but not sure which is the best....anybody have a link to a resonably priced set...or a suggestion for what will fit from another bike.
If so...how about a pic installed?

That's a fact!
I bought mines at Kedo.com
They're in Germany and my gaiters were ment for the SR500. Because of the 35mm forks they are a bit to wide at the top but I put a tierap on it. They will fit on the lower forkpart like a glove :)
DSCN2993Medium.jpg

I found these on the net. They might work and are less than 1/2 the price others want. There are Indian made for the Royal Enfield. the measurements of the XS400 are 34MM fork diameter, 55MM for the housing diameter, and the length on relaxed position on the bike without rider is 200 mm. These gaiters measure 38mm (1.5") fork side, 55mm (2.2)housing side, 8 inches (200mm) length. They also come with a clamp. 15 bucks for a pair, seems to be priced aggressively. Anyone tried these? I might need 5 pairs so I am keen on any savings...

mikestp@yahoo.com

http://stores.ebay.com/VintageAutoSpares (do a search for gaiters and it will pop up...)

Would be nice to have a size on both ends and the length.... Summit has them for 3.69 each... Dunno if they are as rugged (or better) than the Enfield India part....

Alright. I now have in hand the Royal Enfield Gaiters as well as the Rancho Gaiters. in my opinion they are both of comparable quality. So the big winner here is the Rancho shock boot covers for a price of 3.69 and 5 dollars shipping. All 4 Gaiters came to me for a 5 dollar shipping fee making the deal even sweeter. They come with a black tie strap to attach. They are a slightly different size than the Royal Enfield parts but since the Yamaha of this year (1981) didn't have any, there is no "correct size"

Highly recommended.

Rancho shock boots can be found at Jegs auto supply.

Cool.. Was checking out Ebay for them but was not sure what they were called.

35mm was the key :)

Old dust seals all cracked :bike:

I am about to remove the fork lowers and inspect, re-oil and clean up the lowers, then install the gaiters. I'll take a few pics to show you both the "Royal Enfield" gaiters and the "Rancho shock boot covers". In my opinion the Rancho wins hands down as they are only 3.69 each.... under 8 bucks for a pair. Jegs sells them and offers 5 dollar shipping for all you order. 3 pairs only cost me 20 bucks

I have taken some pics of both of the gaiters as they would be installed in the forks. I prefer the Royal Enfield parts, at 15 dollars. I will probably order 12 units for now and the future. I can save a shirtload in shipping if I buy a dozen. the Gaiter on the right (left hand side of the bike) is the Royal enfield part, the bigger one is the Rancho shock cover. Both will work, but I decided that the extra cost (15 dollars VS 8 dollars) was worth it for the extra good looks. the Royal Enfield units fit as if they were made for the Yamaha.

http://stores.ebay.com/VintageAutoSpares/_i.html?_nkw=gaiters&submit=Search&_sid=926161379

Attachments

• DSCI0006.JPG
    DSCI0006.JPG
    86.2 KB · Views: 698
  • DSCI0007.JPG
    DSCI0007.JPG
    91.7 KB · Views: 612
  • DSCI0005.JPG
    DSCI0005.JPG
    89.3 KB · Views: 639
  • DSCI0001.JPG
    DSCI0001.JPG