Who else loves the exhaust sound? (XS400j)

DanMach

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
Bought an XS400J a few weeks back and I've put about 500 miles on it now. Love it to death so far and while its not a super high powered bike.. well you know what they say. Its funner to go fast on a slow bike.

Anyways, it was a real nice night out so I was riding without the visor down and god I love the exhaust sound when its engine braking. I believe its a stock exhaust.. anyways. I love the way the xs400J sounds :p

there's a tunnel under manchester airport and i always rev up under there, makes me sound like I'm in the Bol d 'or or the tunnels at Monaco! great fun.

My exhaust is stock and I also love the sound. Have never been a fan of ear splitting, droning exhaust systems. I don't mind a slight modification that introduces a little more purr into the exhaust, though.

My emgo shortys make my xs400 sound almost like a dirt bike at higher rpms and rumbly at lower rpms; I like it :)

Every time I go under the freeway overpass near the motorcycle shop I rev her up and watch every driver turn their head! so fun :)

Sorry to rain the parade of those who like the stock sound,I hate it ,to quiet.I run open exaust going to get omego shorties they sound good.

To clarify my last post I like the AFTERMARKET exhaust sound. The stock sound was boring. I now run mac 2 into 2 exhaust and it sounds awesome.

Finding the stock exhaust boring is how I would describe it also.Besides my mufflers were rotted so I needed something.It was just easier to go with the open down pipes and to get the omego mufflers without spending a fortune.I`d love to go with 2 in 1 exhaust and Im going to go to an ehaust shop to see how much it would cost to have a set fabbed.

There's a shop in Big Lake Mn called Shade Tree where I bought a set of Emgo megaphone mufflers. I think they were $45.00 each with adapters & clamps for 1.250 to 1.500 pipes. My stock set are shot and as soon as I get this crappy float tower repaired in my carb and get them cleaned & built I 'll be checkin out their sound. I hope they'll give me some throaty rumble and a nice mellow bark at speed. Not lookin for lots of noise but somethingloud enough to let others know I'm there.

Id like to hear some exhaust clips if anyone could. Im thinking of getting rid of my stock mufflers too..they are looking their age now...

When I was first looking into getting a entry level bike, I was also considering the equivalent Honda and Kawasaki offerings. But what made my descision easy was when I youtubed them. The. Honda and Kawasaki s sounded more like a kazoo compared to the throaty sound of my Yamaha. And even though I've only been riding a couple months, in pretty satisfied. On that note, it could be a bit louder and I wouldn't mind a bit.

some clips or links would be great! I cant wait to hear mine with moxie pod filters and Harley FX slip on pipes with no baffle. I imagine a nice low rumble without ear splitting decibels.

I have 2 24 inch long harley mufflers on my bike ,I love the way it sounds.Yes its loud but not as obnoxiusly loud as running straight pipes:)

Sorry to tell you this, but your bike will be very loud. Pods are loud, and Harley mufflers are sized for much larger Harley engines. Even with the baffles they would be loud, without they will be obnoxious. You will be catching the attention of every cop in a 5 block radius...

its sooo quiet i forget its running sometimes.
but i am used to a Ducati wi hi level DP system.
184481_4199364658774_1331588071_n.jpg

Back