Widest rear tire

Spad

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
What I the widest rear tire in inches or mm on an 80-81 XS400....Avon makes a Roadrider MT90V16 that is 5.4 inches wide that they say replaces a 130/90/16....Spad

130/90-16 I have it on my 80 sg and it is very close to the chain but don't touch I also removed the chain guard to give it a little more room. I got it that way and will go back to stock when it's worn out.

120, I know, just looking at different widths and overall diameter...Some of these tires in the same size can vary almost half and inch in o/a diameter...When I was racing sports cars when selecting tires used to take tires from different manufacturers and stand them up along side each other, you'd be surprised at the variations..So far the best I can come up with is an Avon Universal 90/90/18 up front O/A diameter is 24.4 and the Kenda Challenger 120/90/16 rear at 24.4 O/A diameter, as per the company specs...I was just looking for a better sticky rear tire..Spad

I've got a 130/90/16 Challenger on my Maxim. It is quite rounded being fit on a 2.50" wide rim. It has done me well in all weather, even down to freezing. It isn't the best in heavy rain due to the large smooth center section of the tread pattern. And it isn't good on loose surfaces like gravel or sand either, but that is to be expected with a street tire. I've put just over 14,000 km (8,700 mi) on it in the past year and still have about 50% tread left before the wear bars (in the center), so tread life is good.

GTDave, my rear wheel is 2.15" wide, so the 130 is a no go. Your rear wheel is a 2.50 or 2.75.....Just want a sticky tire that is responsive and gives warning on its limits...Spad

This isn't super current, but on my XS650 and SR500, the Continentals provided the best combination of feel and grip. May want to give them a try. The problem with this vintage bike is truly fabulous rubber isn't made in these sizes.

For the truly modification happy: converting to wire wheels and fitting 17 inch rims F&R or finding wheels off another brand that will fit would be a serious upgrade. Modern sport rubber is so vastly superior to what is offered in narrow 16, 18 and 19 inch rim sizes that if you haven't tried them you wouldn't believe it.
The other choices are 19F and 17R like the current crop of adventure bikes. lots of choices in those sizes.
The consideration is to not fit too big of a tire to the older skinny rims, as modern tires require wider rims than what we have fitted stock on the XS. I ran into this on the SR500. Too big was not as good as small. You may even want to go down a size to avoid curving the tire too much.

A fresh look at the Continental website shows either ContiGo or CiontiTwist (love those names) as probably the best fit for stock wheels.

Last edited:
just put Challengers on, 130/90 on back and 110/90 in the front, havnt ridden them yet...

Roommate has Shinko 712s all around and likes them a lot for all weather conditions

both are cheaper than Avons

Yamahaguy, My other bike has modern Pirelli rubber and what a difference....Best I can come up with is stick to the stock size and use the Kenda tire on back... I have even been looking at downsizing also, as I like those Connie TKV's....Big thing is getting the same diameter tires fore and aft...Sesty I'm gonna stick with the 12 0/90/16 on the rear so far....We are doing a café bike so it is apart right now:D....Spad

Looking at installing 140/70-18 tires on 18x3.50 rims out back. Wondering if the 140 will give me any clearance issues with chain etc? I removed the chain guard, etc.. I'm considering useing 520 sprockets to give me a smaller chain profile but not sure what is available for the xs400.

The tire width of the 140 is 5.6 inches. The 130 is 5.2" for the Avon road rider tires I'm considering getting.

When I had a 130/90-16 rear tire on my 2.50 16" mag rim there was only 3-4mm between the chain and the wheel. As for a set of 520 sprockets I have never seen a specific set for a xs400. Not sure any other bikes will work. Let us know if you find something.

When I had a 130/90-16 rear tire on my 2.50 16" mag rim there was only 3-4mm between the chain and the wheel. As for a set of 520 sprockets I have never seen a specific set for a xs400. Not sure any other bikes will work. Let us know if you find something.[/QUOTE

Wheel sprocket you can get from rebel gears and or sprocket specialities. Not sure where to source drive sprockets however.

I have a 79 xs400, would I be able to fit a 120 on the front rim? And am I correct to believe the rims are 18 in the front, 16 in the rear? I've always had difficulty with tire measurements =P I want the largest possible tire in the front, and I want it as similar in width as my rear.

Back