Will 1982 motor fit in 1978 frame?

Patchaks

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
We are fairly new to the forum, so I want to do a brief introduction. My fiance Jeff and I have 4, 400's in the garage at this time. I have a bit of an addiction to them. I learned to ride cycle on a friends 1981 400 Maxim. I picked up my own 1981 Special this summer and it is in amazing condition and runs like a top. I've always wanted to tear down a bike that needs work and get it running again.

In addition to my desire to re-build a bike, we've always wanted a cafe and since I will never molest my perfect 1981; we found a local individual selling a '78 with a seized motor and 2 parts bikes. We found that we can actually get one of the parts bikes, another '78, running and that still leaves us needing a motor for the other '78. Our other parts bike is a '81. We just found a running 400 motor for a 1982. In reading past posts about the history of the 400 models I see they switched from SOHC to DOHC in '82. Before we buy the '82 motor we would like to know: Are these two motors interchangeable on the frame? Any other major concerns we should be aware of?

KC

In '82, they made both SOHC and DOHC. An '82 SOHC engine will fit a '78 frame just fine, though the wiring will have to be modified given that points were used for ignition before '80 and electronic starting in '80.

The DOHC engies will not fit any SOHC frame, no matter the year.

Thanks HoughMade. I like the simple modifications you've made to your 400. Happy to be a part of the forum too! Looking forward to all the help as we put her back together!

Woah woah woah Hough. Don't lie to good ol' patchaks!

You can totally fit a DOHC engine into an xs400 SOHC frame! ..you do have an engineering degree, a welder, tube bender, and a good insurance policy right??

yep, dohc engine into an sohc frame, but modded to dohc frame specs....mmm something not right there!

welcome to the forum Pat

Back