will a yamaha r6 exhaust work for my xs400E

Shaun Chandler

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
Hi all

I have a question mabey some of you can help me with. I've stumbled upon a muffler from an 02 yamaha R6 for 20 bucks on kijiji (not sure if everyone knows kijiji but its like ebay but I think just north america, and more for local).

Anyways my build is a 78 xs400 and I'm wondering if I can use just about any exhaust ? I know I will be rejetting because I'm doing pods and 2 to 1 anyways. Do I need to worry about specific back pressure?

Any assistance would be great. I'll attach a picture aswell. I thought 20 was a steal.

I'm a damn good fabricator but by no means a mechanic, just handy.

Shaun

Attachments

• exhaust.jpg
    exhaust.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 115
I think it would look pretty goofy and not provide much back pressure. You would have to weld it or clamp it to your 2 into 1 But for 20 dollars it would be easily worth the investment if it doesn't work out. You can always re-sell it.

Don't worry about too little back-pressure; only too much, but that is not likely to happen. People run open headers on these bikes just fine with the right jetting. If you can get the muffler attached with no leaks it should work fine.

I'd listen to him over me, I'm just starting out. But I do think they are a bit big, have you ever seen them in person?

Haha, I never said it would look right. The stock mufflers on some sport bikes are often affectionately called scud launchers.

^ but doent look to bad. if it didnt have that fairing on there it would make the bike uneven. bike has good balance. plus if the exahust was lower i think he would scrape...

Hey Guys thanks for your thoughts. I think for 20 bucks I'll buy it (although I haven't heard back from the guy yet) if I don't use it I can sell it again. I'll attach a picture of my bike so far the front end is off another bike just so I could get a feel for it with two wheels. My front end is painted black and I have to start re-assembling it. I love the cafe look but we will see how the bike ends up I may be somewhere in between a fighter and a cafe. Frame will be gloss red.

I had thought about the look and I see what your all saying. I actually thought about making my own from scratch, I was thinking about having it come out under the seat/tail.

Shaun

Attachments

• P1010499.JPG
    P1010499.JPG
    148.9 KB · Views: 134
  • P1010500.JPG
    P1010500.JPG
    147.1 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:
I'm not to sure the actual size when I emailed the guy I asked him how long and what the dia was but haven't heard back from him yet. I may be better off making my own just to keep the size down. I'm not a fan of the old ones at all (scub launchers is right). Mine were so badly rusted I tossed them out right away.

The muffler may not look right on that pic Drewpy put up but Im getting a slight chubby looking at old Yammie scraping pipe into a turn.Something about that old motor and headers looks cool to me and the way its leaning into the turn. So rad. Are those clip-ons?

Back