Will bs 38 pilot jets fit in bs34s

Watts up

XS400 Member
Reaction score
I am almost done with my bike however ,I can't seem to get it running at a good idle speed. I do not have my tach cable hooked up yet but it isounds like 5/6k rpm. I am running pods with the h pipe between the pods and the carbs. Carbs have been cleaned (3 times). I am running a custom 2 into 1 exhaust with almost open pipes. I have adjusted the air screw to see if that would help, had no effect. I have decided after much reading on this site that I need to adjust my jets. I have already found main jets for them but I am having trouble finding the pilots on mikes. I have not purchased anything as of yet according to the forums tech center I need to go up 3 sizes in the main jet and one in the pilot. 1979 xs 400. I'm not sure what kind it is.

Sorry no pics. I'm not tech savvy. That's my wife and she is mad that her bike still isn't done after 1 1/2 yrs.

The 80-84 xs650 uses the same pilot jets as the 77-82 sohc xs400. Make sure your idle mix needles have not broken off in the carb bodies ( very common on the 77-79 xs400's) Make sure you sync the carbs with a manometer. A high idle can also be a result of out of sync carbs or even a hole in one of the diaphragms. You may want to check that also.

Back