winding noise during startup

Onetype

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
I'm getting a winding noise when I try and start my bike, kick or electric makes no difference. It sometimes does it when I shut the bike off as well. This is not my video but mine is making the same sound. Now It seems as if I am not the only one to encounter this issue anyone know what it is?

Edit: I looked around the other day online and must have missed it. From what I can tell this is what they call the sprag clutch? If im looking at the right thing bikebandit just has it listed as the starter clutch assembly. I've read where people just removed them completely. What are my options?

if you remove it no noise but no E-start either, these parts in the starter clutch get gummed up, or broken springs, missed shaped rollers #9 (parts 7, 8, 9,) can usually be fixed by dis-assembly and cleaning then re-assembly if nothing is broken

Attachments

• STARTER_CLUTCH.png
    STARTER_CLUTCH.png
    46.9 KB · Views: 234
Ok still trying to learn as much as I can about this little thing so bear with me. Honestly the noise doesn't really bother me as long as it can't hurt anything, I can live with it. I have no problem going to kick start only but would I still need to address the issue? I think I read that some people just disconnected the starter but left everything in place. I'm not sure how but that sounds like a better option if at all possible.

"Unless you wish to save a little weight, you DO NOT have to remove the sprag assembly to kick-start only. If you're afraid you might space out and use the E-start button, just disconnect the starter motor plug".

no it doesn't really hurt anything it's just the chain driven sprag assemble slipping on that big gear trying to turn the motors crankshaft

The chain isn't slipping on the gear, it is the sprag (roller) clutch slipping on it's engagement surface of the crank gear. While not immediately fatal, if it is wearing and producing debris, it could cause issues later. If it wears enough, it might jam and cause other problems such as driving the starter while the engine is running. The starter motor was not designed to run at high RPM...

Dave

The parts needed are a pain to find. Found some in the UK but I need something closer as I need the parts now.

I have a good one I could sell you if you need it.

Attachments

• DSC01829.jpg
    DSC01829.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 222
  • DSC01830.jpg
    DSC01830.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 204
  • DSC01831.jpg
    DSC01831.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 225
Chris, what is your take on that spring? Is there a spring out there that comes close to it? I have found some but in the UK. I can't justify the cost due to the crappy dollar. Was thinking of trying on getting a generic spring but I guess I would have to go to ACE or NAPA to start my search....

You still have the set? All I need is the cap, springs and the dowel

Back