Wires coming from alternator

xs400newb

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

This is for a 1980 Standard.

I have 2 sets of wires coming from my alternator. The first set is on a male connector and the second set is on a female connector. One has 3 wires and the other has 4 wires.

What are the purpose of these wires. I suppose one set goes to the regulator/rectifier (I don't have it handy to check). What is the purpose of the other wires?

Best,
Adam

Weird. Do both harnesses look OEM? I was pretty certain there was only one set of 4 wires coming out of the stator cover.

Do they both pass through the rubber plug behind the front sprocket cover?

There is definitely a second harness that is supposed to go UNDER the engine and between the swing-arm and engine.

That sounds right.There is two bundles of wire, 3 white wires are you alternator to rectifer/one of which is spliced into the headlight support bundle. Then the blue and a yellow for neutral safety light system, and the oil pressure device. and 2 more fore the field coil. that should be seven wires. now if some one has changed out the normal connectors. we hope for the best, (always use Drewpies re-wire, under the tech section/and front page. (Great advise, you dont' have to do do the full rewire) just what you need. but look at his techniques. My bike is a year newer, so you may have some differences, but this should be really close. Wire diagrams are listed under tech section, perhaps even with manuals.
tobie

Back