Wiring in a new Regulator/Rectifier (need help)

skervey35

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys my xs was blowing fuses like crazy all of the suden so I blamed the voltage regulator for the issue. I was going to upgrade both the regulator and rectifier anyway so i figured it would be a good time. So i got a transpo S1003UH its a Regulator/Rectifier all in one, its universal and came with no wireing diagrams... So after looking online for a hour i found this picture of the part.

index.php

After pulling out the the stock regulator and rectifier it seems like it will add up. On the stock regulator there is a green/ solid black/ black and red wire and the rectifier has a red/3 wight/ and a black.

So do you think the
-3 yellow from the new unit replace the three wight from the old.
-new green replace old green
-both old black wires (im hoping there both ground) to new black wire
im at a loss with the old black and red wire and with the 2 orange wires

Any thoughts? or wiring diagrams that might help>

look this up on xs650.com They are the mentor site of this one and the 650 has the same charging system as the later 400s. it's covered there under pamco petes write ups on regulators.

Good luck

Drewcifer

Well i thought i had it figured out but after a test run there was only 12v on the battery when the bike was running. I believe im looking for 14v. I have look on the 650 site and on all the other sites but no one can tell me what the wires on the stock harness do.

The wires are explained in several posts by pamco pete. if they don't come up in that site, look at xs650temp as well.

Google the name pamcopete plus stock harness and voltage regulator.

If you picked the wrong year then you have the wrong regulator. Also, make sure you test your field coil to see if it gives full voltage to your stator before mucking with your regulator.

The regulator was a universal one that fit the stock specks, and i would have checked the field coil but i was blowing fuses to start with witch i would think that it would be more likely be the regulator that went bad then the coil.

But I will check for pamcopete and see if I have missed something when i was wiring

Mine only blows fuses when one of my stator wires grounds out during ignition.

Check it by ohm testing the three wires in reference to each other, they should read the same. If one is reading short, that's your problem.

well after some more work on the bike i think i have traced the wires for the fuse back to find the fuse its blowing in the main fuse. (some one took out the fuse box and replaced it with inline fuses) and after messing with it more i wound that with the key in the off poison I out a new 20A fuse into the holder and it blows as soon as it makes contact... So im more than like looking at a simple grounding issue. But where is the better question. Iv done a simple check before I did anything and all the wiring looked clean. Im trying to look up wiring diagrams to see where the ground could be. Do you know of any places that i could have a ground that would kick the main fuse?

ok well the fuse was blowing because of some temporary wiring to the rectifier. So now im going to try the new regulator that they use on the XS650 site. Got one for $20 the other day and figured id give it a shot.

Do you know if the rectifier needs to be grounded as a unit? i know the new regulator grounds threw the unit itself and i did not know if the rectifier was the same way.

Thanks for all the help so far, i just wired in a new fuse box witch will help me out in the long run

ok tried the bike with the stock rectifier and the new regulator and the voltage is only at 12.2 lower then it is when the bike is off...

If the rectifier is bad will it keep the bike from starting?

Im running out of ideas... the bike worked grate then all of the sudden started blowing fuses and now is not charging...

Well i got the ground out of the way but now im not charging. These bikes use a brush-less system so idk what more could be wrong that im not getting charge.

Dude, you need to do what we all did. Download the manual, learn your resistances, test your coil and stator for spec resistance, and find the gremlins.

We will help you, but we can't do your basic homework FOR you. You'll see posts here where a guy will come on and say "Okay, so my blanks tested XYohms and my ____tested 12 volts..."

that guy is doing his homework. You're just guessing.

Start at the start, battery, and work your way down the charging system chain of voltage until you find your gremlin. There is no other way.

Your bike either has a system where voltage goes to positive or negative based on the year. After you get the field coil to magnetize it will hold a single edged blade to the stator case, If that happens you should be producing over 12 volts, guaranteed.

you have homework. Get cracking. We will back you up.

Drewcifer
PS, Gremlins make you want to sell the bike until you find them. Finding them earns you bad ass points. Don't quit. Calm down and THINK.

Oh and the function of brown wire is to distribute power.. I.E. the end result of a functioning regulated elec. Sys.. Your regulated 12V'S .. So your green is battery to field coil input and brown is field coil to bike/main power.

Skervs, does your field coil produce a magnetic effect? You can even do it by putting the voltage from a spare battery through the connector to get it to magnetize. Use jumpers and some long wire to feed the 12 volts into the coil. If it's not broken or shorting, it will make a magnetic field effect at your stator cover.

X2^^ What he said. I tried this very same thing and didn't get any magnetic field what-so-ever. Pulled it all apart and found that the stator coil was crispy!

Yep, could not believe I found a friend stator in my friends ducati! it was not even 4 years old. But it was poorly built and that's something you can't foresee.

Hey guys sry for the late replay going through a move. Yes i have a magnetic pull from the coil, and a good one at that. I tried the radio shack rectifier from the 650 site and the same results only 12.3-12.4 going from the terminals on the bat. Don't know what to think of it. But im also having carb issues. The bike is hardly running after the trip to my new house. I have taken them off a few times and cleaned them and still not running well.

Well if it ant one thing its another...

Okay, so your field coil works. Did you remove and inspect the stator itself? It could have a shorted winding and you're only putting out 2 of 3 phases.

Yes I also pulled out the coil and the center part(witch im guessing id the stator?) looked for any bad wiring and it all looks grate. So I cleaned all the old oil out and got a new gasket and re-installed it all.

Also i got it running well so i took it down the road, while wiring was all loosely placed inside the frame to keep it from pulling and shorting out. But even still as i was pulling the bike in it shocked the mess out of me. I have been shocked by the bike a few times by grabbing the wrong wire at the wrong time but this shock was 100x as powerful and almost kicked me off the bike. I believe it had to be a discharge from the coil. So a believe i have a new issue..

Tomorrow I will try and rewire some of the mess that the previous owner left me. To see if there is a short in what is left in the wiring.

Back