Wiring in a new Regulator/Rectifier (need help)

I also saw this just a moment ago, (cell pic so it might be hard to see)

0818022308a.jpg

0818022308.jpg

There are 2 sets of wires that are coming from the left side of the case, both have 4 wires coming from them. One set all the wires are white the other have more than one color. The set that has 4 white wires connects via a 4 pin connector(the top pic), but there are only 3 white wires on the other side(the lower pic) (the side that is apart of the wiring harness). Can anyone help me identify what these wires are? And if i should have 4 wires on the wiring harness? Im guessing that they are from the coil since they are white like all the other wires coming from it.

Wish i had another xs400 to compare it to... but im making progress!
Thanks guys! Wouldn't have made it this far if it was not for this site!

Nice work buddy.

The wires are normal wires. You'll have to clean them and send them back in time to see their real colors. You should have three yellow and one white wire coming out one connection, the other will have a yellow, a blue, a black and a green or a black and a brown. That one is going to your field coil (black and green or brown and green) and the neutral switch and oil sensor.

The 4 white wires are actually 3 yellow really faded, and one white wire. It can be very hard to tell. You can spray em with carb cleaner to degrease them and get some clarity on the situation.

The usual issues are found deep inside the wiring shell around the 3 yellow and one white wire. Inside all that covering you'll find shorts and vibration tears in the wire covers, causing shorts.

PS, when you take a pic, light up the subject with an led flash light. It will help your camera expose.

Good luck and keep searching

Drew

Nice work buddy.

The wires are normal wires. You'll have to clean them and send them back in time to see their real colors. You should have three yellow and one white wire coming out one connection, the other will have a yellow, a blue, a black and a green or a black and a brown. That one is going to your field coil (black and green or brown and green) and the neutral switch and oil sensor.

The 4 white wires are actually 3 yellow really faded, and one white wire. It can be very hard to tell. You can spray em with carb cleaner to degrease them and get some clarity on the situation.

The usual issues are found deep inside the wiring shell around the 3 yellow and one white wire. Inside all that covering you'll find shorts and vibration tears in the wire covers, causing shorts.

PS, when you take a pic, light up the subject with an led flash light. It will help your camera expose.

Good luck and keep searching

Drew

Ya sry about the pic with the flash on it washed out the pic. Well it looks like I will be uncovering some of the wiring harness today!

Well after checking some wiring diagram i found this, it shows 4 wires coming out of the coil and only 3 heading into the wiring harness... witch means i haven't found the issue yet.

View attachment 3854

yeah, there is a 4th wire, its a reference wire, usually white, that only makes it as far as the connector and goes no further, i believe its the total output of AC test probe. IF you tested that with positive and the other end on negative battery while the bike ran you'd see your total stator output AC in volts.

Ok well that's cool I will have to test that. Do you think that the bike not running well has to do with the charging system being bad? I have a voltage meter on the battery whille its running and its getting around 12.2v. Im thinking that since its not getting 14v its not giving the spark plugs full spark. Witch would tell me why im not running well.

Yeah, you can actually just test one of the three wires and see what the ac output is. It should be enough that all three outputs add up to like 50 ac volts, so three separate wires putting out 15 to 18 ac volts is good. IF the white wire shows 50 volts you're also fine. I've never done that test because I nipped off that wire doing my rewire. Keep yours. It will be handy to see what your stator output actually is.

You can look up the test on the electrolux website here.

http://www.electrosport.com/media/pdf/fault-finding-diagram.pdf

Regards

Drewcifer

Slowly been working threw the charging system over the past week. But the bike is running like a pig... Having a hard time even getting the bike to idle, after a day the batter is flat. But making progress non the less
But i wanted to see if you know what this part is. Me and a friend tried to back track wires and look online but i haven't figured out what it is yet. Not that i will be my charging issue but it has a little hole/crack at the bottom so it probably needs to be replaced anyway.

2012-08-28_17-29-03_671.jpg

Back