wiring issue - ignition

mind

XS400 Member
Reaction score
howdy,
78 xs400 -

someone did a nice hackjob on the wiring and it's not getting spark. The orange coil wire is going spliced into and going to both coils while the grey coil wire has been cut and isn't connected to anything.

Using my multi meter, I see both the + and - sides of the coil normally grounded.
My questions are...

The coils should be receiving a contstant 12v dc to the + side of the coil, is that correct?
The negative side of the coils should run to the points which disconnect them from ground?
The 4 fuses in the fuse block, should they all be 30 amp?

Thanks!
tony

First of all welcome. And second i would forget about the multimeter for now.
The coils have a Red with white stripe for the primary coil. There is an orange from each coil which is secondary coil and sends spark. The right orange has to connect to the 2 gray wires and the left coil orange has to connect to 2 orange.

AT the contact points the orange and gray are for spark to the points - each SEPARATE spark. On the points the orange is left spark and gray is right points spark. Each terminal connector at the points is insulated from ground. Grounding occurs at the spark plug being in contact with the engine.

The 2 Gray wires NEED TO BE CONNECTED TO ORANGE FROM RIGHT COIL.

Fuses are 20 amp for main (Red) ignition, and other three are 10 amp.

Why the 2 gray and 2 orange you ask? Do you have a condensor?

got a little further in the investigation.

yes i do have a condensor.
The coils on the bike aren't factory. They are mini versions of the coil on my VW, just a standard 12v coil. i guess i'll order some factory coils.

The guy said it ran like it was at one point though....

I put a new battery in it and nothing happens when i turn the key on.
I assume i'm turning the key on, i can't read anything on the switch face.
I put the key in and turn it to the right one click. That's all it will do.

Is that the on position? My that's my whole problem!

Back