Wiseco will make pistons to order

Shaun Chandler

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
Hi all thought I'd drop a note on here and ask a question regarding pistons. I like most of you have spent a long time looking around for oversized pistons and rings. Sure you can get them but they are costly when you compare them to the price of other rebuild kits for more common machines.

I sent an email off to wiseco pistons the other day and they got back to me quickly saying no they don't have anything off the shelf that would work. They did send me a form though for doing a run of them. I though about sending it off and seeing what kind of pricing it would be. I would have to order atleast 8 pistons to do it.

I am actually waiting for word back from yamatopdog they might be buying some new nos parts I have and be giving me a credit so I may not need to buy my pistons afterall but I wanted to see interest.

If a number of people wanted to get together and arrange to buy a batch that could be an option. I just hadn't seen custom pistons as an option until now.

Now I don't have these and I'm not saying I will order them but I thought I would put the word out.

If you are seriously interested post here and a group of us could arrange to go in and make this a worth while.

Just a thought it may be to complicated to arrange but I know pistons are rare and expensive

problem with another company doing it is they will mark up double. atleast if a group of people got together it would be minimal markup. Mabey just the person who handles the money and ordering for the trouble.

I think I might send off an order form and get a quote see what the price is then mabey I can post that up and see if its worth it.

Depending on pricing i might be interested in a set. I agree with shaun here i think if we organized it we would probably get a lot better pricing however it would also benefit mikesxs to do this as it seems like everyone is always looking for them.

I just bought a 2mmOS piston for my set of Dt400mx jug&head. I paid $115.00,then 2 days later saw a 1.5mmOS,and a 2mmOS piston set offered for $99.00,so they're available,you just have to keep looking.Why do you need Wiseco? Are your jugs worn past usage,making Yamaha impossible? lha

I just bought a 2mmOS piston for my set of Dt400mx jug&head. I paid $115.00,then 2 days later saw a 1.5mmOS,and a 2mmOS piston set offered for $99.00,so they're available,you just have to keep looking.Why do you need Wiseco? Are your jugs worn past usage,making Yamaha impossible? lha

We need xs400 pistons and rings not dt400:laugh:

Mine aren't worn past the point of an oversize. But I do need to oversize.

I'm refreshing my engine, full rebuild. It was seized just from sitting. Bore is fine but piston rings were seized beyond belief. I used ultra sonic and kerosene nothing will free them up. Doesn’t matter anyways because they need to be bored one size over so I will need bigger pistons and I don't want to knurl.

I don't see the point in putting in old pistons and rings which are on their last legs when I'm doing a full rebuild and powder coating my crankcase. I would rather do it right once.

I know I can get them but pistons and rings with shipping will be close to 350 from the usual sources (ebay or bike bandit) and then I have to pay to have it bored.

I'm sure there are a lot of people here that need pistons but can't afford it.

I don't think the supply is there and a lot of us would have bought them ages ago if they were more reasonable.

I know you could always draw in new liners and modify another piston but that a lot of work when most of us just want to pull a piston bore and replace.

Shaun

I was trying to illustrate a point:that it's a possibility to find the pistons.Since I wasn't looking for xs400 pistons,I didn't buy any,though I've seen them for sale cheap from time to time,like I say,I wasn't wanting to buy them.I have ,however bought many parts for my xs400 cheap on ebay. lha

I just think if someone was to have a piston go bad they should not have to pay crazy prices or wait for months to find a "good deal". If there was a affordable place to buy these parts more would be rebuilding these bikes:bike:

I know they are out there I missed an ebay auction a couple months ago it was for two oversized pistons with rings for 70 bucks. would have been an amazing deal.

I know what you were saying lhaolpa I just think they supply could be better. I wouldn't want to be in a rush to get them because it would cost a fortune.

I had a similar thing happen to me,waited until the last 10 seconds,pushed the button,and with 2 seconds left,someone else did too_Oh well. lha

Back