wtf how did i do this

moorishone

xs400 new project help
Reaction score
I am going crazy I just finished putting my bike together everything except for paint is done. I went to put the carb back on started tightening my screws and bam this is what happened. I need help where do I get a replacement or am I screwed no pun intended. Help please

Attachments

• IMAG0205.jpg
    IMAG0205.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 131
  • IMAG0206.jpg
    IMAG0206.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 118
Cool but this is the bolt that goes to the carb from the petcock. It's drilled out and that neck piece goes on it as well

I just assumed the neck piece would slip onto a replacement bolt if you could find one with the same exact thread and length etc.

I have one if you want. $12.50 shipped paypal only:)

Attachments

• DSC02069.jpg
    DSC02069.jpg
    194.5 KB · Views: 93
  • DSC02070.jpg
    DSC02070.jpg
    209.9 KB · Views: 76
Thst is a banjo bolt and its common for them to break.They are difficult to find.I would buy the one that XSChris has forsale.Its a very fair price considering what the part is or you can do what I did go to a machine shop and have one made.I know mine will never break again.

Thst is a banjo bolt and its common for them to break.They are difficult to find.I would buy the one that XSChris has forsale.Its a very fair price considering what the part is or you can do what I did go to a machine shop and have one made.I know mine will never break again.
Sounds like good advice - I didn't know it had a hole in it. :shrug:
Some day when there are no more spares out there, one will have to order a standard bolt and have it drilled - but that would surely cost more than $12.

The bolt is for the carb. I can ship it out tomorrow usps should only take a few days or so.

Sounds like good advice - I didn't know it had a hole in it. :shrug:
Some day when there are no more spares out there, one will have to order a standard bolt and have it drilled - but that would surely cost more than $12.

It cost me $20 to have mine made but its made out of a titanium bolt.For the peace of mind knowing it wont break it was worth it.
This bolt has a special collar cut down smaller than the diamter of the bolt around the hole and just slight before the head.I assume its made this way for the fuel to flow around the bolt.Before I had it made I went and checked every bolt and fastening system supplier in town only to get no where.

Yeah same here I've been to seven nuts and bolts places. I even went to a few mill shops and no-one has the bolt the mill shops told me to come back next week as they are busy I found a place to do it but I'd have to drive 2hrs to Tucson then two hours back I'll buy the one from xschris if I can and send my broken one to the machine shop in Tucson and wait on the one they will make me

Yeah same here I've been to seven nuts and bolts places. I even went to a few mill shops and no-one has the bolt the mill shops told me to come back next week as they are busy I found a place to do it but I'd have to drive 2hrs to Tucson then two hours back I'll buy the one from xschris if I can and send my broken one to the machine shop in Tucson and wait on the one they will make me

Well I guess I got lucky because theres a machine shop just around the corner from where I live about a half a mile or so away.Took them 3 days to get the bolt done but that beats driving 2 hours there and back.
BTW where abouts in Maricopa are you located,are you in the Pheonix area?I spent 3 years out there from 87 -90.

Back