XS 360, Engine stall Over 2000 RPM

Normand

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hi, i started a xs360 project 1 month ago. You can find my first topic in the non-xs400 thread.

My bike didnt run for 30 years

Actually, my engine start and run good on the idle (around 1200 rpm)

BUT, as soon i get over 2000 rpm, it stall. The bike can run with choke open, it go close to 2000 and cant get more.

I am not sure if its caused by electricity problem, too much air flow cause i removed my air filter, or a jet problem.

New plugs, cables, new oil, new battery, my alternator dont charge cause of my rectifier,i just bought a new one on ebay and still waiting for it)
I partially cleaned my carbureators, i opened them but i didnt removed the jets. Top and bottom opened, i sunk everything into pinesol...

I removed the air filter for cleaning and didnt put it back because its too dirty and old.

Then, after all this, my engine start and run very well on the idle..

I just ajusted the floats but didnt tested.

Sorry for all mistakes i made, i dont speak english very well.
Thank!

Fix all the things you need first, air filters, rectifier etc. Then COMPLETELY take the carbs apart and clean everything and replace all the o-rings and seals. When you said you dipped the carbs did you remove the diaphragms first?

Did you remove the butterfly shaft seals?

I just cleaned my 360's carbs again. Took out literally every single screw, bolt, and shaft.

Check out the links in this thread:
http://www.xs400.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13321&highlight=carbguide
I haven't looked at the first link but the second and third were very helpful.

Also, this video is pretty nifty. It's not exactly your carbs but pretty close.

Yes, i removed the diaphragms but didnt remove any seal or jets, i know i should do it correctly and replace every single seal and clean every parts =/ Im just afraid to lost control on my stock jet tune. I have a lot to learn about this. thanks

Jet tuning won't be affected.
You'll need to readjust the idle screw and idle mixture screws but you should probably be doing that anyways.

Everything is fine now! I uncorrectly reassembled the carbureator. Everything in the right place and my engine turn, i just realise i need a new muffler since i went to higher rpm XD

I might have missed it but it doesn't sound like you've done anything that would require new mufflers.

Are you planning significant performance tuning? If you're using stock air filters and stock jets you should stick with stock mufflers too.

Edit: Saw in your other thread that the mufflers are rusted out. You will most likely need to change your carb jetting after changing mufflers, rather than tuning the muffler for the carbs. :)

My muffler got a lots of rust with major leak and there is no more buffle. Ill take picture. I plan on getting new muffler but never heard of tuning a muffler. Ill see about the carbs because i dont like the stock air filter =/ Im kinda lucky to get everything stock!!`:)

I didn't quite understand what you meant when I first responded.

Just make sure you wait until both the air filters and mufflers are changed before rejetting. No point in rejetting for new mufflers if you'll have to rejet again soon after for aftermarket air filters.

Muffler tuning pretty much means fabricating a muffler from scratch for a specific bike or purpose. Too complicated for most of us to bother with.

Back