xs 400 intro

Sirdan

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
This is me and my dads yamaha xs 400. This thing handles great! Its tons of fun to drive. We might throw some fresh paint on it too. I have many questions, probably most newbie stupid questions. but first heres some pictures. I was out fishing with my friend the other day BTW. I am going to make a more permanent pole holder at some point.

IMG_1531.jpg

IMG_1532.jpg

IMG_1533.jpg

IMG_1534.jpg

IMG_1535.jpg

1. how much does the tank hold? or how far do you go on a full tank?

2. I need both front and rear tires. My dad found some for 200 bucks for the pair. Is there better deals to be had out there in other sizes?

3. how can I get a bit more pep out of this thing? It seems like it would do 100 but it would take forever to get there.

4. My bars are bent, I am thinking of going with something shorter. Anyone have experience with shorter bars? is it going to kill my back or make the bike feel weird?

5. whats this thing have for an oil filter?

6. My rear shocks are on the softest setting. should I bump them up higher for some better handling?

7. These turn signals seem like they turn off when I go around some turns. Do they really do that or is my brain playing tricks on me?

This is a great forum from the looks of it.:thumbsup:

1. how much does the tank hold? or how far do you go on a full tank?

11 litres
2. I need both front and rear tires. My dad found some for 200 bucks for the pair. Is there better deals to be had out there in other sizes?

don't know in us

3. how can I get a bit more pep out of this thing? It seems like it would do 100 but it would take forever to get there.

service and tune it up first

4. My bars are bent, I am thinking of going with something shorter. Anyone have experience with shorter bars? is it going to kill my back or make the bike feel weird?

European bars are good compromise

5. whats this thing have for an oil filter?

its the finned cover at the front lower engine, download a manual if you are not sure about the bike

6. My rear shocks are on the softest setting. should I bump them up higher for some better handling?

good idea

7. These turn signals seem like they turn off when I go around some turns. Do they really do that or is my brain playing tricks on me?
they are self cancelling, it goes on how many yards you do

This is a great forum from the looks of it.:thumbsup:

welcome to the forum :D:bike:

Tank in gallons is 2.9. I usually go 120 miles before I have to turn the reserve on. I drove 150 miles on a tank the other day and still had .4 gallons left.

I just bought a rear Shinko tire on amazon for $50.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0032HMMZO

I recently changed my air filters to some clamp on pods and also put new spark plugs in. Both changes created a small but noticeable increase in power. I was drag racing my friends '92 Suzuki Bandit 400 and I was able to stay with him til about 70MPH.

You can always try to flip ur bars over and ride it to see what a more aggressive stance would be like. I did that a few weeks ago and changed it right away because it hurt my wrists but it was fun to be tucked in more.

I always have issues with my turn signals lol Sometimes they turn off automatically sometimes they stay on forever and sometimes they blink once and then shut off so I have ended up just holding the switch over through my turns haha

Those tires are a great price. might end up getting those.

I also lubed the tach cable a bit today had it working, then it fell off of the tach when I was riding today. whoops. in my defense its a bit hard to get in there with the windshield. oh and I found out the other day that I can jam 2 burgers in between the windshield and gauges and it holds them good. heck fries might fit too!

Another question I have is what octane should I be using in this? rite now I think its got about a gallon of 93 and gallon of 89. I am well aware that higher octanes do not necessarily give you more power. just wondering what it calls for.

Back