XS 400 issues new owner

l3ry4n3

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Today I put in a new headlamp unit and it was working fine. I cleaned out under the left cover as there was a small oil leak. This afternoon the headlight gauges ares not lighting up.

Also. I put new drag bars on and I can not seem to get the cables to work in any way I have tried routing them several ways. Are there any cheap solutions for these cables of do I have to buy new and what do I buy? Currently throttle revs when I turn right and front brake is very sticky as well as the clutch. Not sure if anyone else has any suggestions for how to route the cables.

I just got the bike and I want to ride it! Any help is greatly appreciated.

Tuesday it was working fine and now my new handlebars messed everything up. :doh:

Yeah... I don't want to do that :) Well I am thinking I am going to have to get shorter cables. Any thoughts on the front light? I recently cleaned out under the left side panel as there is a small oil leak and i think it is coming down the cables from the generator. Would I have corroded something or unplugged something in there that would get rid of my tach/speedo backlights and my headlight?

I think i found my leak. There is a seal that seems to be leaking some under the left cover. I attached a picture. How easy is this to fix/ find a replacement?

Attachments

• IMG_0395.jpg
    IMG_0395.jpg
    299.7 KB · Views: 202
easy to fix and yamaha do a replacement. that red one is an original part as they updated the seals to incorporate a steel backing. also check your clutch push rod as rust on this will tear your new seal.

Good to know I have an oil seals kit on order. Any thoughts on the headlight/tach/speedo lights?

Take off the headlight rim, double check for loose or broken connections. Also look at you left control for broken or shorted wires.

How Can I get myself more throttle Play.? It is all the way tight at the handlebars. Where do I adjust next in the carbs? Anyone have a picture of what I should look for?

Here is the only place to adjust the throttle cable. Frankly, I don't know how shorter bars can result in less play.

throttleadjust.jpg

Good news.. My buddy and I got the front brake and Throttle working. We cut just a little bit of the casing off of the clutch by the carbs and it did the trick. No revving. Then we cleaned out the brakes with some brake cleaner and lubed them up seems to be working much better now.

I attached a pic of the carbs. Where is the mixture adjustment on the carbs?

Attachments

• IMG_8275.jpg
    IMG_8275.jpg
    193.6 KB · Views: 193
Good news.. My buddy and I got the front brake and Throttle working. We cut just a little bit of the casing off of the clutch by the carbs and it did the trick. No revving. Then we cleaned out the brakes with some brake cleaner and lubed them up seems to be working much better now.

I attached a pic of the carbs. Where is the mixture adjustment on the carbs?

to the right of the picture, the only thumscrew part you can see :thumbsup:

:) MS PAINT. Well Good news. Carbs seem much better it has some power again! Drag bars are on, new grips, all of the lights are working, new h4 headlight is working.

Only mechanical thing going on is there does not seem to be enough gas going to the carbs when the petcock is ON, when it is in PRIME it is fine. Is the gas just too low, I probably have about a gallon left in there. Any ideas there?

Next I replace my oil seals under the left panel and take off the right panel and use some gasket maker to fix that leak as well.

Following that, new turn signals, paint/bondo. I am looking for ideas on the back fender. I would like to shorten it or replace it with something smaller. I am just going to paint the front fender.

Added a before and after pic.

Attachments

• IMG_0383.JPG
    IMG_0383.JPG
    68.7 KB · Views: 197
  • IMG_0390.jpg
    IMG_0390.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 172
Ok. 2 issues still. Carbs are adjusted to 3.5 turns out from all the way in. I have some popping. Hw should I adjust them to get the popping to stop? Second, headlight works sometimes and sometimes not. I have candlestick headlamp unit and low watt bulb. Is this the relay or the wiring. It would say it works 1 out of 3 times when I start the bike.

if u have done any kind of modification to the intake or exhaust 9/10 u will have to rejet....make sure u dont turn them in to far or u will get the needle stuck and might brake of making it a REAL PITA to get out of there...

You need to get some di-electric grease and a small wire brush and clean and grease all connections,grounds.Almost all electrical problems can be traced to bad grounds. lha

So electrical is still issue may just be drawing too much from headlight. Not running long enough. Adjusted carbs out a half turn and less popping but now more smoke when it is realy revved. Is this normal for an 81?

Not really sure.. It may just need a good carb tune up.

Hey, does anyone know where I can find an affordable cafe seat for an 81 xs400 that will just fit or take very little effort to fit. I want to have that nice little cowel looking seat on the back!

I took the bike in to get a new front tire and they said it probably just needs the carbs synched. I am going to have them do that this week as i do not have a tool. Spent all weekend painting it.

Back