XS250 Electrical Gremlins!! Old Wiring Help!

Well let's get through this summer one problem at a time. First thing you'll want to know is if it runs right?

Are you sure the points are set up properly? Where are you checking for spark from? Check the coils to see if their receiving power.

The e-start system is pretty simple: the switch triggers the solenoid which sends lots 'o current to the starter motor. Clean the contacts to the switch and see if you hear the solenoid clicking, if not grab a voltmeter or test light and hook it into the trigger wires: if you read 12 volts (or the light goes on) when you hit the switch and there is no click, then you are looking at a new solenoid. Otherwise you may need to service the starter motor.

I think the indicators are on the same circuit as the headlight, so it may just be dead bulbs. On mine, it is just two nuts to get each gauge off. Then the lights are just pushed into recesses in the gauge itself. The bulbs are those small push-in automotive ones (I used size 194, I think they are pretty much all the same though).

Welcome to the forum Jake. What year bike do you have? Have you got a manual for your bike? Also, don't forget to post a few pictures to appease the forum gods.

Cheers.

Hey bud,

You're in good hands here. The guys will walk you through what you need to start er up.

1. Can you kickstart the bike?
2. If you connect a lead and a spark plug and press the tip of the plug to the engine, (not in the plug threaded hole, but out of the hole) a friend can kick the bike for you and you should see a spark as the points open. Works best at night or a dark garage.
3. Take off the points cover and see if you get a spark in the points cover too, same method, with a friend kicking the bike over.
If those aren't sparking you'll need a voltmeter and you'll need to go over the path from battery positive to your coils.

4. a lot of us had kickstart bikes until we sorted out the other issues.

you shouldn't be seeing many sparks from the points, the condensor is gone if you do.

A simple test bulb will show if power is reaching the points.

Attach a volt meter to the battery, put the probe on the negative lead to the negative on the battery, then, starting at battery positive, touch your red probe to the battery, then to the next connection down the line. if you do this, you will end up at the coils, under the tank. You should get 12.4 volts at rest if you're staring with a known good battery.

You're gonna have to grow patience. No other way.

If you truly hate electrical, send it to a mechanic. Or do it yourself at 1/8 th the cost.

Back