XS360 Charging issues

Under-powered xs360 Guy

Painfully bad at mechanics
Reaction score
61139303-9719-4A7B-8B0F-AB6E37348D87.jpeg
90587A7D-0181-4598-AFF4-79AE576566FC.jpeg
I have a 1976 XS360 that my dad owned, and it’s having some serious issues.

first off, bad idle. It hovers around 1.5k and slowly dies. Engine revs well.

Hard starting, it takes multiple kicks to even get life out of it.

charging issues, it doesn’t charge despite a brand new regulator rectifier, and the stator comes back good in tests.

battery with key in drops to 10 volts, even after fresh charge. I think battery is bad.

engine has 10 volts at 4K rpm.

My Ohmmeter has a 1.0 ohm error, and the stator has all 3 wires at 1.8 ohms, -1 so .8 ohms.
the old regulator and rectifier were bad so a new dual system was added.

send help

You need to read the series of threads slightly lower on the garage page by
'anonymosaurus_RXS'. Same troubles.

One thing will always hold true.............you only get the charging out the battery puts in, meaning none there; the battery is considered dead under 12.0 volts. A good battery is 12.3 or higher, the tenths kill you there. I watched lots of people fry charging system parts on cars doing exactly what you are there. Trying to fill up a dead or dying battery is what overloads parts to fail, crap motorcycle charging systems on engines this small are made to barely trickle power in on a battery that is mostly full already.

You NEVER start working on charging issues with a battery that is not fully 100% charged and holding power to not leak it down, it will give you so many fake readings you won't believe it. The regulator looks to the battery to signal it is 'filled up', not doing so by continuing to run down while device is running is what overheats charging parts to fail from overwork. Normal is charge a lot for maybe 15-30 seconds to a minute max, then drop way off to do very little while parts cool off, don't let that cooling happen and you got dead parts baby.

Last edited:
Back