XS400 Bobber Rear Shock Help!

Murphyxs400

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys, I have not been on here since end of last summer. I ended up selling my wife (1982 xs400) end of last summer on craiglist to afford a trip to south east asia for 2 months. I called the guy up last week and he still had it. Had not even put a km on it just sat in his dads garage. Needs a battery but bought it back for $100 less then I sold it to him for. Fired right up 3rd kick!!! I look at it as a interest free loan with free heated storage!

Anyways, I am hoping to hardtail the frame this winter, I dont have the time to do it now and then get it back to ride as the weather up here is starting to be acceptable. I have played around with 2 different sets of seat springs but the line of it dont look very good. My ass is sore and im hoping to throw on some rear shocks. The struts on there now are 9.5" from eye to eye. I am hoping to go as small as possible to keep that fender closer to the tire im thinking some stiff ones either 10.5"-11"?

Let me know what you guys think, and if you have any for sale. Not the richest 21 year old out there, looking for something cheap and just to get me to winter.

Cheers!

Ya I saw that, do you think they are stiff enough that 1 inch of travel will be enough?

Thanks again man!

Also, does anyone on here make custom pipes at all? Or have any for sale?

I am wanting to get some pipes like this

i know there are lots of options to purcahse for an xs650 not too much for the 400. I do not have access to a welder or really know anyone that does so making it myself is not an option. I am sure a shop would charge an arm and leg for it.

Any help/ suggestions is much appreciated!

Cheers! I will get in touch and see if he can make some up for a 400.

I rode my bike on the freeway today (damn my ass hurts), and Im hoping to get some sprockets so I can cruise at lower rpm. Kinda like an overdrive ive heard? Just wondering if any of you can touch on that as to what sprocket/where to buy. Also, will that effect the torque and acceleration of the bike switching up the sprockets?

Thanks guys

The stock size for your bike is 16/37 so if you go 17/37 it will drop the rpm's about 500 less . You will loose acceleration/pull on the bike but if your just cruising with it that wont matter much. If you have larger than stock tires on the bike that will affect the acceleration also. Stock is 120/90-16 rear and 90/90-18 front.

For every tooth you take off the rear sprocket the rpm's will drop by 250.

Back