Wanted - XS400 box tank ('78?) Raleigh, NC

Tomo

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
Hello to the forum. I've been looking for the boxy tank off the XS400. I've read some posts that identify it as coming off the '78 release, but am not sure it's limited to a year as I have also seen it referred to at XS400 A2A. Regardless, I'm sure most of you know what I'm referring to.

It seems they are a good fit for TW200 conversions, which is what I'm currently working on. Any help on tracking down one would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
:bike::bike:

The boxy, "square", or "slab-sided" tanks are from the '77 XS400D and '78 XS4002E. You might also look at tanks for a '77 XS360D, '77 XS3602D, and/or '77 XS500. There might be a few other years that have that style of tank as well - they pop up on ebay every so often - good ones being listed for several hundred dollars. I loved that tank on my XS400 and would also like to find one for a TW200 conversion I am doing - seems like a pretty popular tank swap.

Probably up to $200 +/- depending on its current state. I don't want to completely blow my budget, but am fairly intent on finding one. There was one on eBay that I was looking to get for 130, but I was relying on a snip program to get it, and it failed. There's another one on there a guy is selling titled rare for 300, but that's a bit over their worth and when I messaged him, the tank was all rusted.

Let me know if you do decide to part it out. PM me if you want to discuss cost more. I would love to pick up the tank.

@sayosen I think you can do the swap without a lot of modifications. I got the teardrop xs400 tank a while back, and it would need to be modified for sure. It's also a bit long for the frame for me, unless it was paired with the long swing arm.

Last edited:
I've seen some bikes complete with the tank for between $200-400 around here. Keep that in mind. Might be cheaper to buy a complete bike and part out the rest. The motors are going up in price as well.

@Wolfe_11B Thank you for the advice on buying a complete bike to part out. Seems like a good way to keep the budget under control. I think I'd might be okay with $250, but at some point I'll probably look to fabricate or modify a more affordable tank.

I'll keep my fingers crossed!

Just think, those tanks were like $100 2 years ago and we thought that was expensive. A year before that you could find them for $25

Back