XS400 DOHC Oil Drain

trife86

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I have my 83 maxim 400, trying to do some winter service including a oil / filter change ( first oil change on this bike)

Im not sure whats going on but i removed the oil drain plug along with the filter, And it is not gushing oil out as i would of expected its a very slow drip and the engine is preety full looking through the sightglass, Is there another drain plug i have to crack open besides the one that holds the filter in place?

Its very strange so far, ive changed oil on bikes before and never one like this yet though? there has to be another bolt somewhere ( i am new with this bike so take it easy on me lol)

bike is on center stand i dont think that added 2 or 3 inchs from side stand would make a difference in drain will it?

Attachments

• IMG_20161231_172907.jpg
    IMG_20161231_172907.jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 406
Last edited:
HAH, Ok thanks for the fast reply dave i didnt know it was a separate plug on this bike, I only had experience on one other bike a Suzuki tu250,

Well before i even open this bolt / screw combination i guess i should order a new bolt lol.

Not sure why theres a screw head in it, i just cracked it open and drained nicely, Bolt looks pretty solid so i didn't even touch the screw head, very strange lol

Lookink up on partzilla it actually looks like it supposed to be like that? what the hell? It shows part 12 as a screw-bind it says

296f0e96e4f9380207bdfa5b6f95e18f188818da.png

Last edited:
Back