XS400 Project with pics!

hjennings

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
Nevernind the forks being on the wrong sides!! I was just test fitting the triple trees and stuck the forks and wheel up there for a couple quick pictures. Looking at them now I see the forks are on the wrong sides. The brake caliper mounts go behind the forks. Lol woops.

Eventually it'll 18" wheels front and rear, 60/40 dual sport tires, and a different exhaust and much more. Right now I've just test fitted the GSXr triple tree and inverted forks. Really changes the looks a lot! I'll obviously need some different bearings and a shim, but nothing seems to be a big roadblock just yet.

Attachments

• XSbobber1.jpg
    XSbobber1.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 518
  • XSbobber2.jpg
    XSbobber2.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 488
  • XSbobber3.jpg
    XSbobber3.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 576
  • XSbobber4.jpg
    XSbobber4.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 537
  • XSbobber5.jpg
    XSbobber5.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 522
Nope not the Aprilia. I used the complete forks, triple tree, top clamp, rotors, handle bars, etc from a 2006/7 GSXr 600/750. Larger diameter tubes (I believe they are 51mm) and wider spaced triple tree.

It's obviously not going to be a direct bolt-in. A few things will need to be machined, some custom machined spacers, and some new bearings of the appropriate size. But so far nothing that is looking like it's going to be any sort of problem. Nothing that can't be solved on the metal lathe.

Sounds like a future upgrade for my bike. Details on the neck bearings used etc would be much appreciated :)

Jdizon, I'll post details as I go. Right now I'm just throwing it together to just see how it'll look and seeing if I can anticipate any problems. So far, so good.

I haven't taken any measurements yet, but the GSRx bearings have a slightly larger outside diameter. The inside diameter appears to be pretty close. The GSXr triple tree center tube is longer as well, so I'll have to machine a small spacer that I'll put on the bottom of the neck.

Really not all that complex. Not bolt on, but you can order all sorts of bearings at all sorts of specs and it's fairly easy to machine a spacer. So if you can work a metal lathe (or if you don't have one or can't borrow one, it'd be fairly cheap to have one made) and can work a dial caliper, then you are most of the way there. I'd say just make sure the center tube isn't shorter than the XS neck and that the forks are about the same overall length and it can be done.

Next decision.... use the stock XS controls (starter, turn signals, etc) or use GSXr components? I'm getting rid of the Suzuki emblem on the triple tree top clamp. So that isn't a big deal. Just want it to look clean when finished.

I'm obviously going to have to do some work to get the front wheel to work with those forks as well. And need to make a decision as to what headlight I'm going to use. And I have no idea what kind of paint scheme I want to go with. Decisions decisions.

Attachments

• XSbobber11.jpg
    XSbobber11.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 506
  • XSbobber10.jpg
    XSbobber10.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 403
  • XSbobber9.jpg
    XSbobber9.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 442
  • XSbobber8.jpg
    XSbobber8.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 433
  • XSbobber7.jpg
    XSbobber7.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 457
  • XSbobber6.jpg
    XSbobber6.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 451
Handlebars, grips, and controls installed. This will all come back apart for powdercoating, painting, and polishing. Just getting it all together and making needed modifications as I go.

Attachments

• XSbobber12.jpg
    XSbobber12.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 454
Back