XS400 Rear Sprocket Studs

millrace

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
Hello, I have a XS650 tracker project that I am working on. I am using a XS400 rear cast 18 inch wheel. I need to make an adapter that bolts to the XS400 hub that I can bolt a XS650 sprocket to. I would like to use the XS400 sprocket studs as 4 of the bolts for mounting both the adapter and the XS650 sprocket but they are not long enough to go through the adapter and the XS650 sprocket. I would like to replace the existing studs with longer studs. I have heard that the studs are not removable. Is that true? Does anyone have experience with this conversion?
Thanks, Millrace

The adapter is required as it acts as a spacer between the XS650 sprocket and the hub. The XS400 sprocket is 3/8 inch inboard. The front sprocket and the back sprocket do not line up with the XS400 sprocket. Thanks, Millrace

use the xs400 bolts to attach the spacer, then fabricate alternate holes for the 650 sprocket bolts, hiding them within a rebate.

I am using the XS650 swingarm and axle (20mm). I want to use longer studs in the hub so the studs will go through the adapter and the XS650 sprocket. Does Drewpy's reply mean that the stock studs are not removable? Millrace

I am using the XS650 swingarm and axle (20mm). I want to use longer studs in the hub so the studs will go through the adapter and the XS650 sprocket. Does Drewpy's reply mean that the stock studs are not removable? Millrace

Drewpy says they can be removed, but you have to do some destroying. HVC cycle sell the bushings as they are the same as the RD

Drewpy was merely offering an alternative to the issue.

Back