Xs400 rear wheel "conversion"

trevingray9

XS400 Member
Reaction score
I am looking into setting up my '82 xs400 with an 18" rear wheel.
Mikes xs sells at 18" rim and spoke set that says will work for xs400 as a rear wheel.
Is this saying that I can use my stock hub, sprocket, and drum brake from my stock 16" wheel with the new rim and spokes?
Image1465975861.064044.jpg
Image1465975873.447463.jpg

What size tires are you going with? If you are using a 120 width tire, I think you'd be better off with the 2.15 width rim, or even better the 2.5 rim. It will make the tire have a better curvature profile/contact patch. If you are going with something like a 110 width tire, then you'll be ok with the 1.85

If you look at all the modern tire manufactures spec sheets, the will list min and max rim width, and give a best case rim width. They do this so the tire has the proper profile when aired up on the rim. If you go against the best case number, things get weird with the handling. People do it wrong all the time, but hey if you are buying the parts might as well do it right and enjoy the benefits.

What size tires are you going with? If you are using a 120 width tire, I think you'd be better off with the 2.15 width rim, or even better the 2.5 rim. It will make the tire have a better curvature profile/contact patch. If you are going with something like a 110 width tire, then you'll be ok with the 1.85

If you look at all the modern tire manufactures spec sheets, the will list min and max rim width, and give a best case rim width. They do this so the tire has the proper profile when aired up on the rim. If you go against the best case number, things get weird with the handling. People do it wrong all the time, but hey if you are buying the parts might as well do it right and enjoy the benefits.
I'm glad that you mentioned this as I was wondering if 1.85 was a little too narrow. If I do end up going with the 1.85 I will definitely run a 110 tire. Thanks for the heads up.

No problem man. The power output of these motors favors a 110 pretty well actually. Just look at Moto3 rear tires. Those bikes make twice as much power as ours do, and they use a skinny ass rear tire and still knee drag :)

Haha I know right!? I think the skinnier tire will look better for my bike too. I'm going after a more upright dirt tracker scrambler look with some dual sport tires. If I can remember I'll post a picture once I get the wheels set up on it.

Back