xs400 restoration (oh yeah I am 17)

phate

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
Hi everybody I would just like to post my xs400 restoration project that I have taken on. About a month ago my uncle my offered me his 1980 xs400 that was sitting in his garage for 20 years now and being a motorcycle and building stuff type of guy I gladly said yes. After a 6 hour car ride the dirty bike was sitting in my garage ready for the dis-assembly. So everyday I took off at least one part on the bike until it was nothing but a frame (of course taking pictures and labeling screws along the way). Once everything was taken apart I was caught in the dilemma of painting. Do I do the cheap and junky look of spray paint or do I do the professional powder coat. I chose powder coat. Which lead me to another problem of curing the paint. So after working at a camp I made enough money to take on a side project of a 6ft x 4ft x 4ft powder coating oven (check out the write up: http://forum.caswellplating.com/oven-building-forum/13812-oven-build-oh-yeah-i-am-17-a.html) and after 2 weeks of constant oven building I completed the oven beast. Which leaves me at where I am now sand blasting (thanks to some more money I made and habor freight) powder coating each piece and slowly putting things back together. Cant wait to get back on the road. Will keep you guys posted.:bike:
IMG_0566.jpg

IMG_0567.jpg

IMG_0568.jpg

IMG_0569.jpg

IMG_0570.jpg

IMG_0571.jpg
parts.jpg
IMG_0663.jpg

Holy poop! That oven looks awesome! And now you can offer to powdercoat other people's stuff, and make some side cash.

The XS is an awesome first bike. Great bike to tear down and learn to fix, and great bike to have as your first. You'll probably eventually want to go to a bigger bike, but learn to ride 400ccs fast and well, and you'll be able to ride any bike in the world fast and well.

Good luck!

Thanks bentwrench and yeah I was thinking of doing that as a side business. Surprisingly this isn't the first bike I restored. Last year I bought a Kawasaki ke100 and refurbished it back to like new working condition but I didnt focus so much on the looks (ie quick spray paint jobs) because it doesn't have a title so I just kind of use it as a dirt bike anyways. So yes this will be my first real street bike and I am definitely enjoying this whole process.

I agree with BW, looks amazing.

Hope no inquisitive kids sneak in the oven, or they may never come out :)

I know its been awhile since I reported but as typically said in these noob build threads "better late than never":laugh:. I am (thanks to you guys) approaching the end of this project and I would like to update you guys with my progress. Just have a few more parts to paint and attach, i.e. the gas tank, headlamp bucket, and exhaust. I am trying to match the stock color (as shown in the air filter cover's pic) which using nearby paint stores has been quite the challenge. Enough of the talking its time for the pics:bike:

Attachments

• IMG_0006.jpg
    IMG_0006.jpg
    229.3 KB · Views: 208
  • IMG_0056.jpg
    IMG_0056.jpg
    250.8 KB · Views: 231
  • IMG_0058.jpg
    IMG_0058.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 247
  • IMG_0118.jpg
    IMG_0118.jpg
    253 KB · Views: 221
  • IMG_0140.jpg
    IMG_0140.jpg
    273.1 KB · Views: 249
  • IMG_0189.jpg
    IMG_0189.jpg
    225.2 KB · Views: 257
Having the right tools makes all the difference. Great job. Now I need to either pony up for a proper powder coating or do it myself. It makes such a difference!

Because this young man has his head on his shoulders straight and at the age of 17 I didnt.By the time I turned 19 and up my focus was on cars not motorcycles.

This is very high quality work coming from someone so young. He's got a future, that's for certain.

He has talent that most 17 year olds dont have these days forsure.I hope he sticks with it.Thats one thing I regret I wasnt oriented when I was teen,I didnt listen to good advice when I got it and i thought i knew everything.I was very rebellious at that age and didnt give a crap about my future.I had the brains but was lazy and chose my future which didnt get me anywhere.I wasnt till my late 20`s or early 30`s I woke the frick up and realised that had I been focused on the future I could have made a better life for myself.I did get lucky in one retrospect that I landed a good paying job in the elctronics field.By then my focus was on a family of 5 and supporting them.There times I had enough $ to buy any type of motorcycle I wanted but didnt have the interest.I was interested in racing cars thats what I did in my off time.When i was racing,working I was fishing premere trout rivers.At 29 years old I owned my house furnished with everything new,2 new cars in the driveway plus my race car.I had the tools to fabricate anything which i praticaly did.Now Im almost 50 I discovered a passion for older bikes.Mid life crisis probaly LOL

Thanks everyone for the praise and @bcware after seeing how bad I was at liquid paint (runs, drips, and blotches suck) powder coating was defiantly the way to go. @XSnoob I didn't realize the title was a bit smug until I hit submit:doh: @1982xs400 don't worry I had my fair share of :rock: :hump: and :cussing: but you are right that I do have a plan and goals that I believe are good and will help my future

I didn't take the title as smug. I think it makes a big difference knowing how old you are. I am sure there are other people your age doing nice work, but I have yet to meet any!

phate! You're doing an excellent job! I fee like a lot of the younger generations don't know what it means to work with your own hands. Glad to see you're enjoying this. Keep it up :thumbsup: I can't wait to see how it all turns out.

Thanks again for all the support and today after making a makeshift soda Bottle gas tank I was able to take her on her first ride in 30 years. It was amazing after getting used to riding 125cc dirt bikes its nice to have some power:yikes: thanks again

Back