XS400 SE (4G5) 1980, 5-speed or 6-speed transmission?

frenchie

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Let me introduce myself first. I'm a french 37 yo guy from Paris. I'm a newbie in the vintage motorcycle world. I've got two scoot, Vespa PX200 and Vespa GTS300. One HD Sportster 1200 and now... and old XS400 SE, 1980 in a good condition.
I've already ordered the Haynes manuel and looking for some inspiration for my future work. I've got a first problem and I cannot find any answer on the net: It seems that my bike has a 5-speed transmission on it BUT I have the sensation that one gear is missing... The max speed is 55MPH. In fact I can go higher but I don't want to go over 6000RPM for that... That's why my opinion is that one gear is missing :bike::bike:
Is there some 5-speed transmission on XS400 or just 6-speed?
Thanks for help me out :D

Welcome frenchie!

You will find service manuals here that you can download. They are much better than a Haynes manual. The case near the shifter should show the shift pattern and number of gears. Though it may have been a sticker that has been lost over the years.

You will quickly find that the search feature here is very handy. Most every question has been asked once or twice... ;)

Dave

Hi Frenchie,
as far as I know there were only 6-speed transmissions on the SE. Have a look at the case as Dave said.

If you prefer a french manual look for the european Yamaha workshop manual, that is in english french and german.

main.php

PS: Sorry, the shifter is missing on the pic...
PPS: the fun starts on the right side of the tacho;-)

Welcome to the forum:thumbsup: I have only seen 6 speed sohc xs400's if yous IS stamped with the 6 speed side cover but wont shift into 6th gear your shift drum or shift fork might be bad.

welcome Frenchie.

looks like you should have another gear as its usually 6k for 60mph

max power is at 7k about 70mph. I have a larger tooth and 6.5k=70mph

OK guys, so I checked my bike this morning, this is a 6-speed transmission... :mad:
Do I have to open the gear box?
I like the grinder and the welder but hey.... not familiar with the gearbox I'm afraid....

Look like you will need to break it down:( If you don't have a manual then you can download one one here. These engines are not hard to take apart its just finding the parts you need to will need to replace. Hopefully is something simple. If you can I would find an other engine to put in it. That way you have spare parts:thumbsup:

Frenchie, there might be slight chance you're having problems with your clutch rather than your gearbox. I had the same issue - I rode for a while wondering what happened to my 6th gear and the reason was poooooooor clutch regulation, too long clutch wire and some magic tricks the previous owner did to it. I don't know what happened exactly, as I left this job to be done by mechanic, but the guy didn't look into the gearbox at all. When I finaly got the bike running ok it goes ~100kph@5500rpm, when previously I had to make over 6k. Check it.

As about getting it over 6000k - it's nothing... You can easily take it to 8-9k. I don't know what happens over 9k and I would suggest not checking it, but this bike starts running at 4k-4.5k so you're using only like 1/3 of its tacho range.... On the road though my bike won't go over ~7k@120kph (unless its downhill :D )...

OK guys, so I checked my bike this morning, this is a 6-speed transmission... :mad:
Do I have to open the gear box?
I like the grinder and the welder but hey.... not familiar with the gearbox I'm afraid....

I hear ya frenchie Motorcycle engines and transmissions are new world to me also.The Engine doest scare me and neither does the clutches but the gears:yikes:

Back