Xs400 spindle

Chopperlester85

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hi new to the thread.

I am in the process of fixing up my xs400 chopper after a crash, I broke the front wheel which had a drum break.
I replaced the wheel however I’m struggling with the front spindle, I ordered One online that was said to fit a 400 and also a 250. I understand that a few parts between these bikes could be interchangeable.
I noticed that the spindle I got was shorter than the original. I fitted it on and it seems to fit but the thread sticks out quite a bit, and in the spindle the thicker part is shorter than the one that came off here is a picture. I think one is from a drum and one is from spoke wheel, one one read online. my question is can these both used or does the drum need to have the one that came out of it originally.

Thanks
Ryan

Attachments

• BA3102EA-264B-4E04-AAFB-F10EED1547C8.jpeg
    BA3102EA-264B-4E04-AAFB-F10EED1547C8.jpeg
    455.8 KB · Views: 251
Find some tight fitting washers and simply build the short one out to match the other, it will remove the excess thread coming out the other end. Those parts seem to be the same other than the length of the thick part. Or use a collar spacer that can be found at Ace Hardware.

Ah yeah good point, I will try that, I just wasn’t sure if could be used, but like you said it’s a little longer and the thick bit is a bit shorter but the thickness is the same.
I will do that and see how it goes. thank you

One is for a drum brake bike and the other is for a disc mag wheel. I have both if you need one.
Thank you, Can mag one still fit the drum one without any problems? I have two for a mag wheel now, But I need a drum one if the mag wheel will not fit properly or safely,
That’s kind of you but I am super skint at the moment due To my crash and also in the process of moving house. How much would you want for it? Perhaps you’d be open to trading the two mag ones I have for the drum? And you could sell them on?

Sorry, I was not aware your in the U.K. and shipping is way more than here in the sates. I try not to sell outside of north america as customs forms and shipping costs are too much to deal with for me.

Attachments

• DSC03848.JPG
    DSC03848.JPG
    152.9 KB · Views: 196
Last edited:
Ah yeah I’m in the uk so totally forgot m about the shipping and all that ‍♂️
That’s pretty reasonable. Do you have just the one? I will see what I can sort out and get back to you, is there a site to contact you in or is it just here?

Oh your not in the states. That is going to change this to a no go for me then as shipping will be way more than that. I thought you where in somerset Pennsylvanian usa. Sorry.

Does the inside of the thicker part insert inside a seal on sprocket holder or the drum? if so you can't use it as the distance requirement for that messes up the other option.

If your only consideration is the thicker part locating in the clamp and the thread getting full engagement then what I said earlier may well work and be safe.

Last edited:
Does the inside of the thicker part insert inside a seal on sprocket holder or the drum? if so you can't use it as the distance requirement for that messes up the other option.

If your only consideration is the thicker part locating in the clamp and the thread getting full engagement then what I said earlier may well work and be safe.

the old bolt had a bit sticking out where the whole is on the thick part, where as the new one goes right in doesn’t stick out at all is that what you mean?

I mean you don't want the clamp half empty, there is not enough support there. May even break the clamp portion if it tightens where there is no solid metal in it. A little bit short or long is OK as long as the other threaded side is OK too. .

I mean you don't want the clamp half empty, there is not enough support there. May even break the clamp portion if it tightens where there is no solid metal in it. A little bit short or long is OK as long as the other threaded side is OK too. .

I’ve tried uploading a picture, you can see a bit of the axel is sticking out

Normally I would say that looks great but the axle seems to be hollow drilled. How far down inside does that hollow go?

Do you grasp what I am getting at? The axle is not nearly so stout at the hollow part as it is once it gets solid. If the old one was solid all the way down again possibly trouble there.

Normally I would say that looks great but the axle seems to be hollow drilled. How far down inside does that hollow go?

Do you grasp what I am getting at? The axle is not nearly so stout at the hollow part as it is once it gets solid. If the old one was solid all the way down again possibly trouble there.

Ah yeah I get what you mean, it’s hollow the entire length of the thicker part, once it thins out it’s solid I believe, but the hollow path is directly below the fork clamp.
and the drum one I took out is thick the entire length of the whole spindle.
I was debating strengthening the original as it has a slight Bend but not sure it’s a good idea, plus it’s Solid so would take a fair bit to get it straight.
It’s proving rather Difficult trying to get my hands on a drum one

Back