1. Having trouble logging in? Try closing your browser and re-opening it. If that doesn't work, try a different browser or device. The site will be updated soon to resolve these browser issues.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Want an XS400.com t-shirt? Go to the store to order. Limited sizes and quantities available.
    Dismiss Notice

Xs400 tires

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Karol, Feb 9, 2024.

1. Karol

Karol XS400 New Member

Hi guys im new here. I just buy xs400 and looking for tires for that bike. What is yours sugestions?? Fx Model size . Now im haveing 3.00- 18 front and 3.5 - 18 back

2. CaptChrome

CaptChrome XS400 Addict Top Contributor

Welcome to the forum!

Well, there are not many choices because of the vintage rim sizes, and amongst the available tires, there does not seem to be a standout performer other than Avon which is going away. i would get whatever is available locally in the stock sizes if you are trying to fit them under the fenders. If you are building a custom, then you can go taller and maybe a bit wider. A 90/90-18 will fit the same as a 3.00-18 on the front, and a 100/90-18 should do the same in the rear.

3. tstidham

tstidham XS400 Addict Top Contributor

I just recently put a new rear tire on. It was a Shinko brand and it rides great. Certainly better than the 35 year old tire that was on the bike when I bought it! I lucked into a good used Avon 90/90-18 off Craigslist too. The difference in grip is amazing.

Shinko 87-4158 Tire 712 Series... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00T6J52QS?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

CaptChrome likes this.
  4. CaptChrome

CaptChrome XS400 Addict Top Contributor

I am still jealous of that score you got on the Avon for the front. I am running a matched set of IRC RS-310 tires front and rear and think they are pretty good. But, I would take that Avon in a heartbeat. I have had more of an issue with finding decent tubes than tires. I had a Kenda tube on the front that completely failed at a welded seam. Here it is with less than 700 miles on it:
    Kenda tube fail after 688 miles.JPG

I replaced it with a Michelin tube up front and I have an IRC tube in the rear. I think I am sticking with these two brands from here on out.

tstidham likes this.
  5. Igor

Igor XS400 New Member

Poland
    Hi guys, it's my first post here after buying XS400SE 80' and I wanted to ask exactly same question about new tires :) Your opinions above are helpful.
    Until now I was thinking about either popular Shinko E-270 (so even more classy) or Avon Safety Mileage MkII. The question is: should I be worried about grip in these Avon while riding mostly through city streets? The tread is much higher than Shinko and I really wouldn't like to slip on first curve. (of course I'm exaggerating..)