xs400 Triple tree swap yz250.

jsnyder11

XS400 Member
Reaction score
So i am working on swapping out my stock fork and triple trees for the ones off of a 1992 yz250. I wanted inverted forks and got a smoking deal on them. I already found bearings to swap the front wheel to accept the 17mm axle, but I am having trouble finding bearings for the neck tube. I know the OD of the neck tube is 48mm, but the steering stem ID is 28, and i cannot find any bearing that is 28x48 in any width. I have found a 28x46x13 bearing, but how would I go about shimming it? Any help would be appreciated.

You do know how bad your ride will be with those forks, right? I know they are 'upside down' but that doesn't mean they will be an upgrade to the stock setup. The rake, trail, wheelbase, and offset will be all sorts of wrong.....

I would be most concerned with the increased caster angle caused by the forward offset of the axle. Next on my list of major concerns would be that those forks were designed for a 200lb bike. The XS is almost twice that.

Just be careful is all I'm saying.

You could machine a spacer for the outer race to add 2mm to the OD. Just make sure that there is enough of a shoulder in the steering head to support the bearing.
Strength will not be an issue. The forks and clamps on a YZ are designed for much higher loads than the XS would ever see.
Wolfe is correct that your handling may change due to the different offset of the clamps and axle (this affects trail) and possibly a change in the rake angle if the YZ forks end up a different length than your stock forks.

Back