xs400 w/bs38 carbs

ravynnsloft

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I have an interesting issue......I have a 1982 xs 400 special.....japanese model.

It sat for almost 12yrs so first thing I did was take carbs off to clean. this is what I believe I have....will post pictures as soon as I can.

bs/38

Pilot jet is stamped 145 I also have a set of 125 pilot jet as well (the bigger jet port under bowl)
air screw is 1 1/2 out
I adjusted float to 24mm and double checked with clear tubing test it is right at bowl line

I can get it to run with starting fluid however it seems like the floats are sutting the fuel off before it is high enough to get sucked up the jets....i/e when i turn on the gas I can see the gas flowing into the carbs.....then it just stops and even when I try to start it it doesnt seem to take any more into the carbs....it did run before I c leaned the carbs.....feeling very frustrated....any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

seems like something went wrong with the float assembly after you cleaned your carbs. Open up your carbs again and check if you installed everything correctly, and if the float needles are moving freely. I once installed my float needle upside down... :doh: Oh and check if it's not just your petcock..

Back