XS400J maxim cafe build

Sphinx

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Alright guys, I've been lurking around for a while. I picked up a 1982 400 maxim last year for $400 got it running like a dream and been using it as a commuter every day to university :). When I bought it I intended to build a cafe right away ( I knew nothing LOL). I was too intimidated by the frame/tank and monoshock so I postponed. This winter however I am going to take on the daunting task of building my dream cafe. This is her now. SO first off im going to start with some questions. I know that a KZ440 tank will work, as well as a heritage special, any other tanks that will fit the cafe style? (im good with welding and stuff to make em fit)

Attachments

• IMG_0358.jpg
    IMG_0358.jpg
    311.7 KB · Views: 1,279
  • 10526103_10154240410720391_2018831070197105762_n.jpg
    10526103_10154240410720391_2018831070197105762_n.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 618
  • 999528_10152842646675391_1464665711_n.jpg
    999528_10152842646675391_1464665711_n.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 549
The plan is to switch to clip ons, pods (with fab'd up stacks and re jetted carbs) lower the front end (new forks?? or fork oil switch) raise the back (new mono) fibreglass seat, and switch up the headlight, signals, and spedo & tach. Anyone know exactly how my carbs should be jetted or will it just be tinkering til its right?

good luck with this project...I remember a couple of attempts to transform these DOHC bikes to cafe...But I cant remember which one was finished...maybe none of them :) these frames are pretty hard to modify to suit an old style cafe tanks. Front end is too high and rear end too low...

ya i've read a couple of other maxim to cafe threads... I hope I'm not getting in over my head. I figure with some suspension tinkering/swapping I can lower the front, raise the rear... just worried if it will be ridable after. Possibly using the minton mods method

I have the same bike and have saved it from 11 years of neglect. If you are getting rid of any parts like body panels front fender interment cluster let me know.

While my bike isn't exactly "cafe," I have done a couple of things to lower the look of the front end and make it less like the cruiser style it was designed to be. I put on new bars (and flipped the risers around), put bar end mirrors on, lowered the HUD, lowered the headlight a few inches, slid the forks up an inch, and put on gaiters.

I might end up making a new seat and trying my hand at fiberglass.

Attachments

• IMG_20140803_165016.jpg
    IMG_20140803_165016.jpg
    263.5 KB · Views: 717
  • IMG_20140803_165025.jpg
    IMG_20140803_165025.jpg
    261.8 KB · Views: 751
What bars are those, if you don't mind me asking? I really like that look.

They're clubman bars from my local motorcycle shop. I might switch to clipons to clean up the look a bit, although I'll have to do something about the turn stops so my controls clear the tank.

when you say you slid the forks up.. just in the tree or another method? i want to lower the front but avoid bottoming out the shocks?

Looks there's about an inch of fork extending above the top of the tree that wasn't before.
Seems like a good way to get that little bit extra height at the front off.

That's an awfully nice looking bike. Why not just paint it red and enjoy it - then it will be perfect? :wink2:

I went the opposite way. When I bought the Maxim, the forks extended over an inch above the clamps. I wanted to be more upright and we pushed them down until there were just a couple of mm showing. It was easy - just have the bike vertical, like on the centre stand, loosen the 4 bolts, adjust and tighten. As I recall, we simply put a jack under the engine (to take the weight off the front wheel) and raised it until the forks were where we wanted.

Take a look at 16VGTIDAVE's photos of his "Frankenbike". He replaced his rear end - used one with a vertical mono-shock (from a wrecked Kawasaki I believe). It gave him more height and an extended wheelbase.

Really like the look too. Are the new handlebars as comfortable as the originals? Very sleek!

Posted via Mobile

Sphinx, thanks for posting the pic. I have a Seca. Now I know what is similar, and what is different. The engine I am using I think is out of a Maxim, as it is a 5 speed.
Original motor is a 6 speed. The Maxim is a more chopper stylish bike, The Seca a bit more normal. But they have a similar front end and swing arm.
With the engine hanging from the frame your options become limited.
But the seat and rear fender can be rearranged. Lots of bars to chose from. Flat bars might work well. The front fender and head light could be changed around. Save the old parts. I do not like solid rear ends, but it is not my bike. Sprung seats do look cool.

Unkle Crusty*

That's an awfully nice looking bike. Why not just paint it red and enjoy it - then it will be perfect? :wink2:

I went the opposite way. When I bought the Maxim, the forks extended over an inch above the clamps. I wanted to be more upright and we pushed them down until there were just a couple of mm showing. It was easy - just have the bike vertical, like on the centre stand, loosen the 4 bolts, adjust and tighten. As I recall, we simply put a jack under the engine (to take the weight off the front wheel) and raised it until the forks were where we wanted.

Take a look at 16VGTIDAVE's photos of his "Frankenbike". He replaced his rear end - used one with a vertical mono-shock (from a wrecked Kawasaki I believe). It gave him more height and an extended wheelbase.

Yup, that's about the same thing I did, but in reverse. I was changing my fork oil at the same time, so I had taken off the front wheel. Just make sure the left and right forks are at the same height up in the triple when you tighten the bolts!

JSO, yeah I find the new handlebars to be very comfortable. I actually felt more in control of the bike when I made the switch - your weight is a little bit further forward, and I felt it was easier to lean into turns. I took the bike on a 700km road trip this past summer from Ottawa to Boston and felt fine (although that was before I lowered the front end and put the bars further forward, but I still had the clubman bars on).

Hey so I've been pulling off parts, air box, rear fender, carbs, ect... as well I am pulling off the side covers of the motor for polishing. (girlfriends dad has some amazing polishing equipment he's letting me use. Now I've two questions. When I pulled off the covers the gaskets were brittle and torn so I need new ones but I want to make my own anyone have experience with this? what material to use ( I'm trying to avoid the gasket 'glue') as well as shopping for a tank, I've looked at making one from fibreglass... is that possible or will the gas eat the glass leak and ruin my carbs?? cheers pics to come

... I need new ones but I want to make my own anyone have experience with this? what material to use ( I'm trying to avoid the gasket 'glue') ....
Some folks have had experience:
http://www.xs400.com/forum/searchgoogle.php?cx=partner-pub-9696397702584771%3A8296568423&cof=FORID%3A9&ie=UTF-8&q=corn+flakes+box&siteurl=www.xs400.com%2Fforum%2Fshowthread.php%3Fp%3D145963%23post145963&ref=&ss=10896j8817790j23

Back