XS650 in an XS400 frame

Until somebody actualy attempts this build people can speculate all you want.Why dont you guys go ask someone from the XS650.com and see if someone has done this.

i know i need a manual, kinda lazy

do theses motors have a chain in gear box? that needs tightening with time?

lol wat?

stock xs650 pistons would go in it. or a 750cc kit and a rephrase.
there is no external oil tank on xs650, and its air cooled so no need for radiator.
im lost as to what your asking

Wil this thread ever die?Nobody is going to make it happen so lock it up dead.:banghead:Somebody has a better chance at making roller bearing rods for the xs400

How mmuch weight difference is there in the frames?
I once put a 750 Bonneville in a Daytona 650 frame. It handleds it with no problem. My reason was that the 750 had been hit in the rear by a car and I had the 650 frame. No mods neede on that swap.

The main issue with respect to the differences in the frame construction between the 400 and the 650 isn't about power output but VIBRATION. Putting a paint mixer in the 400 frame without analyzing and mitigating cracks through gusseting will result in a fatigued and ultimately cracked 400 frame/rider. I've an '81 SR500 that puts out roughly similar hp as an XS400 -though with probably a fair bit more torque- and the differences in frame construction are marked. Yes the SR has an oil-in-frame design but with respect to triple clamps, swing arm, and overall, beefiness is up a notch or two on the engineering scale.

It may be a steel frame, but it was designed to handle a certain amount of power.
I had a friend in the service that had a Nova. The 502 engine rode hard twisted the body enough so the rear wheels where two inches off to one side. One mag wheel had two inch deeper offset than the other. If you put the wrong wheel on the wrong side the tire would scrub.
This just too say the 650 engine being over 30% more power might be more than the frame can handle.
Leo

Just saying Leo, but Novas did that with the stock engine . They're notorious for crabbing down the road !:laugh:

Just wondering when people are gonna stop spreading this urban myth.
When people stop Fix-Or-Repair-Daily, or Fix-It-Again-Tony I suppose .... :wink2:
A friend of mine had a Nova 396 and it never failed to go - something to behold at the time for sure. And the frame remained rigid while he had it.

Back