XS650 in an XS400 frame

004SXMike

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Someone must have done this out there, how easy is it to fit an xs650 engine in a xs400 frame. What needs to be changed and what can be kept i.e. exhausts, air box etc.
A friend has an engine so its an option i was looking in too.

I doubt the mounts are the same so there would definitely have to be some sort of modifications

I agree with Chris. If you want to do a custom motor swap you're better off getting a better, more readily available motor since little to nothing can be reused.

well I wouldn't try to utilize the xs400 harness, you would just use the xs650 one no? in theory, you have a well running 650 with a fucked/bad title, and an awesome bare 400 frame with perfect paper and a quick drain breather hole one the bottom of the engine. then AND ONLY THEN would it be worth the work for the swap. im sure the carbs would hit unless you made it a single backbone.

OR

cut neck off xs650, throw in scrap. cut neck off xs400, weld neck to backbone and downtubes of xs650 with a lil bit of rake, BOOM! instant custom xs650 swap into CUSTOM xs400 frame. you win 500 internets.

Well as I see it the XS400 engine is what 38 hp. The XS650 is a 50 hp engine. Will the XS400 frame withstand that much extra hp without extensive modification?
I agree with volcomskater77 about swapping the XS400 neck with good paper into XS650 frame. Least amount of modification.
Leo

It's a steel frame; it should be able to take whatever you can throw at it. I'd worry about the rear wheel, chain, and sprockets.

Tell you guys what,somebody donate a fram,and a engine,give a guy a torch set and welder and make the mods that need to be done.If you have the imagination,knowlege and material plus the tools anything is possible.I bet if somebody actualy attempted to do it then it could happen so far all talk no action.

The xs650 frame is much heavier and thicker than the xs400's. But hasn't this already been discussed before:banghead: Will people please stop replying to this thread unless you are really going to do it:thumbsup: Thank you:)

It may be a steel frame, but it was designed to handle a certain amount of power.
I had a friend in the service that had a Nova. The 502 engine rode hard twisted the body enough so the rear wheels where two inches off to one side. One mag wheel had two inch deeper offset than the other. If you put the wrong wheel on the wrong side the tire would scrub.
This just too say the 650 engine being over 30% more power might be more than the frame can handle.
Leo

Back