xs750 starting prob

darren philby

XS400 Member
Reaction score
hi ive just bought an xs750 special non runner, had no carbs , this bike had a lot of money spent on it in later years including gold flake painted frame. Anyway i was told it had a running prob and the lad who had it had sent off carbs to be checked and they couldnt be balanced or something so he didnt bother collecting and sold bike on to me several years later, the bike had been bored out to an 850 and converted to electronic ignition, previous to me owning it. SOO i bought a set of hitachi 850 carbs and tried them, the bike was very hard to start, back fired alot and sounded like the timing was too far retarded as it would lerk alot as it tried to start, on the few occasions it started it ran fine as long as the revs were over 2500 anything below that it just died. Soo i bought rejet kits and over hauled the carbs sonic cleaned ect ect , put them back on and same thing, very hard to start, ie already burnt out one starter motor, ran fine on high revs, any help , check the coils there fine, the one thing i noticed was the spark looks weak while turning over and as soon ai i take the finger off the starter the last spark is very strong , when it wants to fire its like its firing just before tdc and kinda braking itself , i hope some of this makes sense to someone, had alot of help here with my xs400 , hope you can with this aswell

Back