Yamaha Ct2 or Ct1 1972 idle issues

Liamrdv

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yamaha Ct2 or Ct1 1972 idle issues (2 stroke problems)

To my understanding the bike I have is a 1972 yamaha ct1, the engine case shows this but the carburetor in the book is shown differently. Anyhow whenever I start the bike the idle goes off all crazy and revs up to what i would say is like 6000 or somewhere around there, the tach and speedo dont work so I cant tell what the rpm is, if the choke is on it will start and idle normally, and ive cleaned out the carb and the pilot and main jet, not too sure what to do here, cant tell if its an air leak or what? I am not well versed in carburetors or cylinder maintenance so I'd appreciate any help I can get, in the manual it doesnt show how many turns out the throttle adjustment needle should be at or the air fuel mixture needle, I have them both at two turns out right now.:doh::banghead:

Last edited:
Not too many 2 stroke guys on here. If it runs fine with the choke on, and revs without it, you can almost be certain you are lean on the pilot or have an air leak. Remember on a 2 stroke, you need to check for leaks at the crank seals as well.

Thanks! I grabbed a sheet of rubber/cork gasket and cut out a gasket which I figured was the issue, now I cant seem to get it to kick over at all, tried to running start it no dice, I set the carb back to factory setting for the air mixture and to two turns out for the idle screw, seems to be running rich now though wet plug.
I didn't really consider the 2 stroke thing, but thats a good point just hoping someone with more experience might be able to help trouble shoot.

Seems like you are headed in the right direction, sometimes fixing one thing will make another problem show up elsewhere. What carb is on it, the stock one or aftermarket?

Got any pics of the bike? Those old enduros have joined the highly collectible group these days. Keeping it all stock?

Okay heres some pics of the bike itself and the carburetor, as you can see the air filter is different on it, the original air filter is as shown in the other picture the black box, and theres also a picture of the manual which isn't exactly the greatest manual because it covers a few years and multiple models, not just specific to the model I have. It's all stock except for the air filter , and the paint job of course. Tach and Speedometer don't work not too sure if the battery is needed for those. I dont have the battery hooked up or and of the electrical right now, only the bare necessities. I was riding it earlier this year and it would run fine for a while except a wonky idle, I could ride for about a half hour before it would bog out and die on me, I would have to wait as if had over flowed , and Id end up walking it back through the trails and giving it a running start down a hill to get it back home, this is when I had taken it apart the first time for a cleaning broke a gasket causing it to rev excessively fixed that and now I'm stuck here! it has run fine in the past.
Also. when I try to kick it over it will sound like it tries to start once every ten kicks or so but wont catch, wont catch with a bump start either.

Attachments

• IMG_2877.jpg
    IMG_2877.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 280
  • IMG_2876.jpg
    IMG_2876.jpg
    264.8 KB · Views: 292
  • IMG_2881.jpg
    IMG_2881.jpg
    237.6 KB · Views: 250
  • IMG_2872.jpg
    IMG_2872.jpg