1980 XS400

Well....it's been a while since I posted anything, been busy getting a divorce. But now I have lots of spare time and little money, so we'll get this thing done eventually. Just finished up the tank badges, just need to pick a paint color ( I kind of like the gloss black, but I'm leaning towards a 1970's DT1/ AT1 gold color), plus get a couple of electrical gremlins sorted out.

tumblr_n9af9cGzuH1rriuweo1_500.jpg

tumblr_n9af9cGzuH1rriuweo2_1280.jpg

Sooooo, brought it home, put some gas in the tank, checked to make sure everything was buttoned up, turned on the ignition, have her a swift kick...and nothing! Pushed the kickstarter thru a few more times and the motor feels like it doesn't have any compression. I take the cover off and check the kickstarted engagement and it's engaging. Button everything up and give it another try but still seems like the motor has no compression. I put the bike in gear and every time I kick it over the bike wants to jump forward.

Did the 400's have a compression release cable? I can't think of anything else that would cause this.

Are you pulling the clutch when you kickstart? The kick arm will just sort of flop over if you are. Sorry if this is a silly question.

Hey Atomic where you at in SoCal? I have an 81 that I'm taking down to the frame and back up with a street tracker in mind as the finished product. I'm near HB. Would love to check this out in person and gain some wisdom from ya.

Also got a Bonneville btw...

Hey Atomic where you at in SoCal? I have an 81 that I'm taking down to the frame and back up with a street tracker in mind as the finished product. I'm near HB. Would love to check this out in person and gain some wisdom from ya.

Also got a Bonneville btw...
I live in South OC, but I'm dropping it off at Fifty1Fity Cycles in HB tomorrow!

10400041_10202525784054174_6300051274591629250_n.jpg

Finally got the carbs dialed in and took her out for a shake down run to Cooks Corner, everything worked pretty good except for the throttle cable. It doesn't want to return when I let off the gas which made the run thru the canyons a bit dodgy. Brought it home and rerouted the cable but it still hangs up, the cable on it now seems a little rinky dink so I'll look into getting a new one.

The positives...what a fun little bike to rip around town on! Much more comfortable that I thought it would be, the motocross bars really helped. Had a few nuts disappear but got everything back together in a few minutes. The Harley guys didn't know what to make of it, but a couple of outlaw bikers dudes came over and dug it.

I ended up using my Iphone as a speedo and it worked out really well. I bought a speedo from Dime City I might send back, I mounted my phone with a Rokform mount I used for mountain biking and it worked really good with a free app I downloaded from the App Store.

I'll work on getting the tank painted next (possible color combo bone white/red/black) and sorting out some paint and powder coat on stuff I did before but don't like. I think I'll get as much silver and chrome removed and replaced with black.

Last edited:
Nice bike. What app did you use? I'm not sure that my speedo is working correctly and this would be an easy way to check.
I went with the Tim O's Studios speedometer, very simple app that just shows my speed. Super accurate and has a laage layout on the screen. All you see is the MPH you're traveling...and it's free.

Back