50 MPH top speed??

CnD2402

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hi,I bought my wife an 83 Maxim. Its about the right size for her and she enjoys riding it. I took it to work the other day and noticed though that at 50 MPH the motor is screaming at 5000 RPM and I was worried it was gonna blow up! The bike is a 5 speed. Is this the top speed on this bike due to the gearing or is there some carb problem? Any ideas?

at 50 MPH the motor is screaming at 5000 RPM and I was worried it was gonna blow up! The bike is a 5 speed. Is this the top speed on this bike due to the gearing or is there some carb problem? Any ideas?
Hi, Welcome to the Forum. I got my Maxim 2 months ago and it is funny to read your reaction. :yikes:
Mine was exactly the same. I assume that your engine will wind up higher than 5k rpm and that you are simply reluctant to be the one to blow it up. If it won't go higher, then you have problems well beyond my stash of second-hand knowledge, but fear not - the guys on here will get you through.

If it's simply a matter of your ear not relating immediately to shifting at 9,999 then you might get a kick out of - and some good knowledge from reading my thread on the subject.
Let us know how things work out - they will, you got a great bike!

The bike starts and idles perfectly.It has plenty of power just sounds like it run out of gear..it red lines at 10k just by 6k it is screaming..Im in 4th gear by 30 mph. Just seems like its geared for the dragstrip!

bc..is your bike a 5 speed?

The bike starts and idles perfectly.It has plenty of power just sounds like it run out of gear..it red lines at 10k just by 6k it is screaming..Im in 4th gear by 30 mph. Just seems like its geared for the dragstrip!
It definitely is geared for the dragstrip. You, and I dare say you wife in particular, will love the bike even more once you switch to a 17T front sprocket.

I am pretty sure the 78 is a 6 speed, but your top speed is way too low. I agree with the above if it seems to run perfectly otherwise; you've likely got a quick acceleration sprocket/chain setup.

Yea maybe Im just nervous cause it sounds like its out of RPMs but doesnt redline till 10..seems like it blow up before it got to 80 mph at say 8,000 RPM

You could pull the spark plugs and tell us what they look like. Better yet, get some photos of them!

I road to work this morning at 70 mph turning over 6500 rpm the whole time.

This ain't a Harley. If the redline is 10k, get used to higher rpm. You can change the gearing if you want to, but you won't get an rpm reduction of more than about 500 without hurting performance.

To reiterate my advice- get used to it.

HoughMade that's what I was looking for.. Im gonna take it out and run it up...Im an experienced rider and have never been on such a small street bike,Im used to doing 100 at 6k, lucky for me the wife is 105 lbs and likes the bike..haha

I continually redline my bike, they are built for revs. Only 200cc pistons

good job you don't have a moto gp bike, @ 5k you'll stall it. they red line at 18k revs

HoughMade that's what I was looking for.. Im gonna take it out and run it up...Im an experienced rider and have never been on such a small street bike,Im used to doing 100 at 6k, lucky for me the wife is 105 lbs and likes the bike..haha
HoughMade is right, you (she) will get used to the revs. I did, though it took a while - my car's redlin is 6500 and I had real trouble the first time I went over 8k (on the bike).
Your revs at 50mph are exactly what mine were, so I will bet you will find 35 teeth on the rear and 16 on the front. I highly recommend switching the front to a 17T. It's only <400 rpms at 50 but I enjoy riding it much more now, especially through town.
I am 155 and can't tell the difference at slow speeds so your tiny-perfect wife will not bog it down. Good luck with the psychology and the tinkering.

Make sure you have the right sprockets on the bike. Other than that just expect the higher rpms from these little bikes. Your bikes should be able to do over 100mph with no problem, both of mine have been more than that a bunch of times.:yikes:

Yup I have been there and am over it....rpms match (almost) mph (5500 rpm= 55 mph). The bike loves the higher rpms. Listen to modern bikes and you can here them coming a mile away they are so wound up,because they made for higher revs. These bikes where the predecessor to modern bikes with higher revs. Enjoy

Thanks (I think) for the inspiration CnD. On this afternoon's ride I got all the way to the red-line for the very first time. Can't say I didn't flinch, but I did get there.

55 mph, second gear, 10,000 rpm. Chickened out between 65 & 70 in 3rd though. :p

After 2 months, I am now comfortable with 6,000 rpm :bike: and no longer am convinced it is about to explode.
9,000+ still needs some work. I was sure it was going to blow this afternoon. :yikes:

Thanks for the advice everybody..I was a little concerned I hadn't done my research before getting the boss lady her first bike..doh! The bike has 12k on it and she loves it,tried to get her on a little bobber but she saw the xs and fell in love...

The bike has 12k on it and she loves it,tried to get her on a little bobber but she saw the xs and fell in love...
What's not to love? It's a perfect '83. If your original purpose was to have her tag along with you a lot, then you made the right choice.

Better hope she doesn't embarrass you at any lights with that dragstrip gearing... :wink2: ... or, maybe that's why she loves it so much. :umm:

Ill post a pic of the plugs soon..I pulled them the other day and they were nice and clean..might be running a little rich..

Back