'82 Maxim 400 project for a new rider

16VGTIDave

XS400 Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Greetings and Thanks!

My name is Dave, and I live close to Woodstock, Ontario, Canada. I've been lurking here since the end of June when I traded a lawnmower for an '82 Maxim 400 that had been stored since '96. :eek:

The bike was in rough shape, but thanks to the wealth of knowledge here, a great local parts shop (Sirius Motorsports in Cambridge, Ontario, Canada :thumbsup: ), and a broad mechanical background (decades of automotive work and aircraft maintenance, among other things) I have rebuilt most of the bike and now have it on the road. :bike: The list of parts required was extensive, but I managed to avoid opening the engine. Most everything else has been replaced, rebuilt, cleaned, painted or otherwise serviced. By doing all the work myself, I have the bike on the road for less than I could have bought a running one for. And I've had 3 offers on the bike already!:D

I got my M1 license (learners) the end of July, but didn't get the bike on the road until the middle of August. In the past month I've ridden almost 1000 km without incident or breakdown. And I hope to keep it that way!

Thanks for all the valuable information and I hope to meet some of you (those from South Western Ontario anyways) at some point!

Regards,
Dave

Welcome Dave, glad the lurking paid off and you are coming out.
Maybe we will both have enough range and enough nerve to attend the Father's Day gathering in Paris. A shorter ride for both of us than if we wait until Sept. 13th. :wink2:
I can't wait to see pics of the bike you've had 3 offers on.
I was SO sure that I had the best colour. :shrug:

Sorry folks,

I wasn't able to get any pics today. It was a rainy day and I was too busy riding and getting the bike dirty. :bike: I'll see about pics tomorrow if I get a chance to wash it. Once again it is too dark now for good pics of a black bike. :)

Dave

Back