82 Maxim Won't Start, Clicking Solenoid

popmac

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
A couple weeks ago my bike started up fine in the morning, then after work wouldn't start so I bump started it, got home and put the battery on the charger. Next day, same thing - bike started in the morning, nothing at the end of the day. Both times I was just getting a click at the solenoid and nothing else. At that point I figured it was most likely my battery, so I took it back to the store, they tested it and said it was shot, and I picked up a new one. Since putting the new one in I haven't been able to get my bike to start again, just a solenoid click every time I push the starter. I put a new solenoid because they are cheap and mine was looking pretty old and decrepit anyway, but the end result was the same.

At this point I would assume it's the starter motor, which go for about $100 on eBay, but to get it out to be tested it looks like I need a couple special tools that I don't have. Is there anything else I should be checking here, or should I order in the tools I need to check out the starter engine?

Check all of the connections to the battery, solenoid and starter including the grounds. Clean any corrosion that you may find. You also may have a charging problem that is preventing your bike from keeping the battery charged.

With the cycle running check for 14 volts at the battery terminals. Rev it to 3000 rpm.

Thanks for the response and sorry about the delayed response. Took your advice and was still coming up blank so I ended up dropping the bike off with a buddy who confirmed it was the starter motor. Ordered one off ebay and it should be arriving tomorrow!

Don't toss the other one, it may well be rebuildable. I have never bought new, preferring to do that instead.
Thanks for the advice - already on it! I saw a rebuild kit but due to time decided just go buy the full part. When I have some free time on my hands I'll be picking one up to see if I can get it going or not.

A couple weeks ago my bike started up fine in the morning, then after work wouldn't start so I bump started it, got home and put the battery on the charger. Next day, same thing - bike started in the morning, nothing at the end of the day. Both times I was just getting a click at the solenoid and nothing else. At that point I figured it was most likely my battery, so I took it back to the store, they tested it and said it was shot, and I picked up a new one. Since putting the new one in I haven't been able to get my bike to start again, just a solenoid click every time I push the starter. I put a new solenoid because they are cheap and mine was looking pretty old and decrepit anyway, but the end result was the same.

At this point I would assume it's the starter motor, which go for about $100 on eBay, but to get it out to be tested it looks like I need a couple special tools that I don't have. Is there anything else I should be checking here, or should I order in the tools I need to check out the starter engine?
I'm having same problem and waiting on new motor. Just confirming bump starting worked? I gotta work lol sick of taking the car

Back