82 XS250R questions.

AnzacPaul

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi guys and gals,
First off wanna say thanks to all of you for the vast amount of information i've found on this site over the past couple of weeks. Decided to join as now I have my first bike, I could use some help determining what parts suit.

The bike is tagged 6/82 XS250R. It is also the DOHC version, from what I can tell (YISC).

My main question is will most XR400 Dohc parts fit? I managed to finally match my airfilter to that model ( http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HIFLO-AI...rcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item35c170f6b1).

Being from Aus, most parts are coming from overseas so might take a while to make sure I got the right stuff. Even the Yamaha dealers didnt have a XS250 DOHC in their accesories list.

Thanks all, look forward to posting some pictures soon aswell :).

welcome Paul, the 250 is a rare beast and you may get better source of parts from japan. Sometimes known as a Gx250/400sp in Japan.

Thanks drewpy, but all the gx250 I look up are the older sohc models, which look different to my bike, and all parts look different.

I'm pretty sure it's the same as xs400 82-83 models.

Wondering cause i'd like to go up in sprocket size. atm have a 37 on the rear but bike is losing speed in 6th so im looking for a 39 to see if it helps at all.

EDIT: To add, I need a new Brake lever. so im just taking a stab it will be the same as this http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Brake-Le...orcycle_Parts_Accessories&hash=item51a3c09de8

Last edited:
yam parts bins are pretty good across the board so you can't go too far out as long as its from the same year!

Pic from when I first got the bike.

f5NWd.jpg

Nice looking bike! It appears to me to be an XS400R Seca, but is obviously a smaller engine. Before you go changing things, make sure that it is in good running order.

I don't know what your skill set is, but you may want to consider cleaning the carbs very, extremely, thoroughly, and for a long time. And then do them again. And when you are reassembling the carbs, increase the jet sizes. You won't have to as large as the 400's, especially as your bike appears stock, but you will probably find that the factory jetting is lean. And don't be surprised if you find smaller jets in the right carb. The air box is rather crappy.

Oh, and I believe that the air filter should work.

Regards,
Dave

thanks dave, my suspicions were right about the 400 seca then. :thumbsup:

Perfect timing aswell, because I've had a bad morning. Finally got the bike regod in my name, as there was a problem with old papers. (PO rego'd it online whilst I was buying, and had to wait for those rego papers to arrive before I could transfer it).

So now the bike is in my name, insurance sorted (dont wanna scrape a bmw or something), and the bike is warming up, I've got my gear on, jump on bike, engage first, let clutch out, aaannddd bike doesn't move :wtf:

I had recently let a bit of slack on to the clutch cable, and thought I must of adjusted too much. But upon closer inspection, something much worse has happened. I think this picture, although a bit blurry, tells the story :mad:

pd8Mx.jpg

So from what I can see, I adjusted the clutch lever up a bit, the po had the lock nut on the wrong way, the cable was bent, and pretty much threaded right where the engage point was. (there is worse damage now because I had to get the threaded part back through.

So now I guess i'm looking at a new clutch lever housing, and the new locknut/adjuster part? My mood improved when I realised I didnt have to replace the whole cable, plus the cable was being run under the main loom, so I played with it and gave it another couple of inches length, which should prevent it happening again. :thumbsup:

EDIT: Would something like this do??? Or do I need to actually have somewhere to plug that clutch switch in (whatever it does?)
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/KUPPLUNG...pt=Motorrad_Kraftradteile&hash=item5893fae315

Last edited:
I think that the Seca and Maxim use the same levers and mounts. If so, then you will probably find that your lever doesn't fit that mount. The clutch switch is part of the safety interlock system. You don't actually need it, but would have to bypass it.

If your cable is bent, you would be happier to replace it with a new cable. A bent cable will engage and release strangely as the cable bends and straightens. They are not expensive and available aftermarket. Also a good time to adjust the pushrod free play.

It would be better if you could find the correct mount. If...

Dave

so, after trying a cheap aftermarket setup (I hacksawed the old one off so I didnt have to remove grips etc :p, I could get about a 1/4 of the lever to operate the clutch, not alot of slipping point, but it would do the job till I found a replacement to suit. Except that in rerouting the clutch cable, the accelerator no goes to 6k whenever I turn the steering, as it is pulling on the cable...

Such is life.

Not sure if accelerator/clutch cables are too short (they are super tight the whole way), or if I've just got them run wrong :(.

Any reason the xs400 clutch/throttle wouldn't fit?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Throttle...orcycle_Parts_Accessories&hash=item51a3bb8c86

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Clutch-c...orcycle_Parts_Accessories&hash=item51a39afb92

Last edited:
Yep, tried all those sites, Im thinking the seca having essentially the same setup as mine, the cables should fit.

The only conclusion I can come to with my clutch is that I physically cant get enough pull on it to activate it, when using an aftermarket lever/perch. when I pull the clutch in full, it only moves the assembly/pushes the spring halfway. The clutch essentially does nothing with the bike on a stand. I visited a bike wreckers who couldnt find anything to match offhand, but said he was willing to take a look at it. I'm thinking he's going to have the same problems as me without a lever with a long enough pull.

Also, for anyone interested, the bike runs a 15 tooth front, making the 250 dohc a 15/37 combo.

Last edited:
AnzacPaul,
Almost all DOHC parts are common to 250 & 400 models. I have the original parts manual for the XS250RK (19Y) model if you want to cross check numbers. I am also in Adelaide - had the bike since 1985. Try boats.net for their 1983 XS400RK parts diagrams online. Some DOHC bits are common to the 1982/3 XZ550 but most are not common to other models. I am still trying to track down badgework. The XS400s are Gold, XS250s are chrome coloured. - John.

Best source for cables (in NA, probably AUS as well) is www.motionpro.com. Call if you can't find the application online - they had previously manufactured the choke cable for the Seca, but didn't anymore. They found it online, and sent it out.

Worst comes to worst, they can make you a custom cable exactly like the one you currently have if you send yours to them. I think custom cables for clutch will run you like $15 or $20, which is pretty cheap for a very high quality perfect fit.

Thanks for the replies guys. Bike has been back on the road for a couple weeks and doing well, apart from a slow warm up time (normally needs a good 15mins before it wants to idle with no choke), but I'll be selling it in the next couple of weeks, to make way for a newer bike that i'm gettting through a relative :).

In fact

http://www.xs400.com/forum/showthread.php?p=96956#post96956

:)

Back