83' Maxim caferacer build

Bart-Maxim

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Let me introduce myself first, my name is Bart from the Netherlands a last year i scooped up a XS400 maxim as a daily driver while completing my 92' XJ900F scrambler build. Fact is that its getting cold and my brakes jammed (Again!) on the Maxim after a complete revision.. So since I can't drive it due to winter insurance (no driving old timers from November till March) I'm planning to do some updates. For starters I'm going to do a front end swap this will include a pair of RS125 forks, Ducati disc brakes, 78' wheels front and rear, new tires and so on. Next will be the tank and seat, I have an older model XS400 tank (not sure which year exactly) but it is the same one as on the picture. Also I'm going to rebuild my spare engine block with a 6 speed gear box. Pod K&N filters and a big fat Shinko E270 5.00 at the rear should make the bike look like a million bucks. As far as mufflers go I still don't have the faintest idea...

Picture is from a XS400 cafe with a look I like to achieve.
xs400iws2.jpg

Welcome!

Tank is from a 78 and they are the sought after ones by people. Only thing I see is how tall the tank is in that pic. The backbone on these maxims make it tough to get a tank to fit. You need to beat the crap out of the underside and I wouldn't do it to that tank.......

Looking forward to pics once you get the project going.

Thanks!

Figured that these tanks are sought after since I can't find them anywhere anymore. But when something better gets along I wouldn't mind changing my ideas on the tank. Any suggestions on tanks that will fit?

Thanks!

Figured that these tanks are sought after since I can't find them anywhere anymore. But when something better gets along I wouldn't mind changing my ideas on the tank. Any suggestions on tanks that will fit?

There is none that I have found. I used one off an 78 I think but had to beat the underside. Anything can be made to fit its just a matter of how much work you want to do.

I like that front end but over here in the states they are unicorns :laugh2: I can find them all over Europe but shipping sucks.

Well we got a little wrenching time yesterday, front wheel went in without any issues. Needed to fit a little spacer behind te new disc (5.5mm). On the back things did not go so smoothly, I think I bought myself a NOS rear wheel for no money (€35) because this thing really looks like new. The only problem is that the old brake shoe holder won't fit the new wheel (I know it was a bit optimistic but still). The new tires look amazing. I also need a new rear sprocket and that'll be the end of it I guess. Really like the slammed down look of the bike now.
xs400maxim.jpg

Keep posted!

Frontend looks nice!

If swapping out one sprocket do them both and put a new chain on it also. I know there are kits available here in the states that have everything.

Yeah I will! In the Netherlands we have multiple stores that sell them to. Want to avoid ordering from the States due to shipping costs and customs, so if I'm able to avoid that I will. But if I swap everything I think I want a little more top speed out of it... I got a engine with a 6-speed transmission so the gears are shorter and torque will not be an issue I guess. What setup are you running?

i totally understand the direction you want to go inspiration-wise. But when I look at the progress you've made so far, the lines kind of flow in a neat way and if you created a slim free standing seat unit and got rid of the rear subframe and attached fender stuff it could look evocative of a Confederate Wraith. Maybe create a small swingarm mounted fender that hugged close to the rear tire too?

Apart from that if you want to abandon that approach, the XS400 Seca gas tank fits and is much more cafe style. Regardless I'm enjoying your build!

i totally understand the direction you want to go inspiration-wise. But when I look at the progress you've made so far, the lines kind of flow in a neat way and if you created a slim free standing seat unit and got rid of the rear subframe and attached fender stuff it could look evocative of a Confederate Wraith. Maybe create a small swingarm mounted fender that hugged close to the rear tire too?

Apart from that if you want to abandon that approach, the XS400 Seca gas tank fits and is much more cafe style. Regardless I'm enjoying your build!

That is exactly what I'm aiming for actually I've been thinking about modifying the swingarm to incorporate a nice fender into it giving it a more speedy look. Seat wise I'm thinking something a little bit like the picture. And subframe wise I also totally agree, I mean to get rid of the old bulky one and clean it up for a much smaller solo seat. The other option is also nice (bike seat) but I wouldn't know were to place the battery and the electrics...

bmw-r80-cafe-racer-ironwood-motorcycles-625x417.jpg
maxresdefault.jpg

Yeah I will! In the Netherlands we have multiple stores that sell them to. Want to avoid ordering from the States due to shipping costs and customs, so if I'm able to avoid that I will. But if I swap everything I think I want a little more top speed out of it... I got a engine with a 6-speed transmission so the gears are shorter and torque will not be an issue I guess. What setup are you running?

I just have the 16/35 factory combo. I don't care about top speed on it I have an 1100 for that :D

Was looking for a Virago like your bottom pic above but found the maxim instead and for the 250 I paid it was worth it.

I just have the 16/35 factory combo. I don't care about top speed on it I have an 1100 for that :D

Was looking for a Virago like your bottom pic above but found the maxim instead and for the 250 I paid it was worth it.

Just to let you know were on the same page, my xs400 set me back €250 aswell. And in my point of view the xs400's are always really good value for there money. ;-)

Just to let you know were on the same page, my xs400 set me back €250 aswell. And in my point of view the xs400's are always really good value for there money. ;-)

I like the looks of the older ones but wanted a mono shock bike. I just need to find a tank that works for me....... I want a certain look. I think I have about 4 tanks and so far nothing has jumped out at me.....

I like the looks of the older ones but wanted a mono shock bike. I just need to find a tank that works for me....... I want a certain look. I think I have about 4 tanks and so far nothing has jumped out at me.....

So what kind of look do you wanna achieve? And what kind of tanks did you try?

So what kind of look do you wanna achieve? And what kind of tanks did you try?

I want the tank to be flush with the bottom of the frame and a parallel line.

Here is what I have so far.
IMG_4259.JPG
it is about flush with top of the frame but not quit parallel.

This is the look I am trying to achieve
e6d130f17feeab69b0405436614c6243.jpg
that is a xs750 and looking at one of those tanks but cant find one local.

I have tried a few tanks but they are either to big of just to small to clear the backbone on the frame. I really don't want to go all out on it but may have to......

That's a good looking tank right there! i understand were your coming from only thing I worry about is the length of the tank. Correct me if I'm wrong but it seems that the backbone on that XS is a bit longer than on a Maxim. Also I understand you don't wanna break the bank buying a XS750 tank, but my experience with my other project is that it might not be that bad spending a bit more because it'll save you in the end. Paid €35 euros for the tank on my other project only to spend €200 on prep work because the dents were just horrible. It's looking a million bucks now but I kinda wish I bought one in a better state then I did though.

If the tank is a little longer that is ok with me. I have a 1100 tank that looks almost the same but the mounts are so wide it doesn't fit. And as for bodywork I have a guy who paints tanks and bodywork is included. He did the black one on my other build and it turned out great.

Back