86 XS400 12E throttle/fuel/carbs issue ?

puffybodie

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hi,

so after solving issue with clutch in other part of this forum with superb help of one member (thx a lot again) I can now focus on another problem.

Before winter I filled fuel tank with Natural 95 from OMV, after that it was in place like 5 months or so with 3x 10mins runs on neutral during period. After winter engine started on first hit with starter, but then that problem with clutch (disconnected clutch end cable complete - still mystery why as all is ok inside behind cover) prevented me from ride.

After fixing clutch I give it only short ride around garage with number of floors (outside was crazy rain), clutch was ok so I parked. After 2 days or so I wanted to take test ride, but what a nightmare started. I had problems to start, but it was because of too much fuel and choke so "shooting" from exhaust and so on. Ok, ignition sparks clean (they were new last year), dried them, put back and it started. So went for ride........

First like 30 minutes and under 1km was more like a hell. It was not able to keep on idle so I turned idle screw like 3 full turns right to be able to keep that ~1200 on idle and avoiding "death" of engine. Engine was going off even with clutch lever pulled as it was not able to keep idle. With more "gas" via throttle I was able then to drive like 25km without similar issues, just it was like it lost a lot of the power, was lazy and on 1st gear it was not going after throttle on first try, but I must close and again open throttle so that it was able to "catch" power, but still it was lazy and CBR 125R from 2006 with carbs is suddenly superbike against my open carbs :)

After some points it looks it's connected with that petrol as here in Czech Republic 10% of Ethanol is allowed inside (will not use it anytime again for sure even during summer :)). But ok, was thinking it can't be it as it was starting fine during winter and even on spring and it looks like it started after setting up clutch (but not sure how this can relate in current situation). So today I checked again inside of fuel tank and I saw like 2 or 3 pieces of something what looks like if part of color fall down from wall at home for example. 2 or 3cm long at max plus 1 dead bug body of similar size :) Ok, that's in fuel tank which is in good shape without rust and similar problems reported here on forums for old models (it looks inside like from factory) so either it got there with last fuel tank during autumn (that bug at least) or that white crap is result of Ethanol.

But now what? My first bike, not much tools available, was not doing that anytime before, but this http://www.xs400.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7574 may be easy and for sure useful and can help with existing crap inside fuel tank. Here on side note.....oficial manual for 12E model says and shows on pictures that there's drain screw under fuel cock, but there's nothing like that on my fuel cock (that whole is solid without any place for drain screw).

However I have already issues with idle and throttle so it may be that something is in carbs already (they were cleaned last year with ultrasound and such). So first question is if it helps to mix existing fuel in tank with fuel without that eco-terrorist-shit-idiots-from-eu-additives or completely drain fuel tank and put inside ethanol-free fuel. Or I will need to check carbs and here's the problem, was not doing it anytime before, will be my first time, don't want to make things even worse, have limited set of tools and of course found eg. this http://www.xs400.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10595 pointing to some video, but that's about older version of XS400 which I don't have and as well in that video it looks like it's completely disassembled. But then there's link to this http://www.xs400.com/forum/showpost.php?p=64401&postcount=17 , but it's about something else and not sure if it's good idea to touch this as it was set and working fine last year.

Back