Advise for sale price?

Tannins

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any input for what a fair value is for my 1983 XS400 maxim? Been looking around trying to gauge the market, but at this point bikes this old are so different, it's tough for a novice to judge. Bike info, 6000 miles, starts right up and runs very well. Inside of gas tank is clean, but there is a dent on it, that ironically occurred in 1984. The rest of it is in good shape although the pipes have some rust on the front. They've been like that for as long as I can remember.
This was my fathers bike, new. Became mine 5 years ago, so I got my license and enjoyed the heck out of it.
Thanks for any input.

Post some pics. A nice clean low mile dohc xs400 around my area would be about a $1000-1500 bike in the spring time.

Here are some pics. Thanks for the reply. As you can see, this is clearly with no spit or polish. Right out of the garage for the first time this spring. Started right up. YamahaPic1.jpg YamahaPic2.jpg YamahaPic3.jpg YamahaPic4.jpg YamahaPic5.jpg

If you can literally put the key in and start it and go and needs nothing and has all paper work, Id say around $1500 as well. If im getting lowballers offering 800, id just keep enjoying it.

You gotta figure that anyone under maybe 35 years old, is just looking at it to cut it up and throw half the parts out.. But thats up to the next owner..

Clean all the metal and polish it all up. I could see $1500 for this time of year. It's a shame the head pipes are so bad.

Last edited:
Just add barn find in the title and you will get 1000 more especially here in the UK lol.
Ha! Barn Find it is! Although I think original owner (or in the family anyway) for a 1983 bike is a nice story, too.
Thanks everyone for the input. I'm actually amazed at this bike and how it has always just runs when you want it to (as long as you put a happy battery in it). It will be sad to see it go, but I'm not using it much and I don't want it to just fade away.

I notice that you have a rear rack on your bike, I have tried everywhere in the UK to find one that fits the Maxim, to no avail, can I ask where the rack on yours was purchased from? Failing that would you sell the rack from your bike seperately? (preferably to me? Hehehe) if you wish to sell the rear carrier/rack, could you give me a price, and approximate shipping cost to the UK?
Thanks

Merlin

I notice that you have a rear rack on your bike, I have tried everywhere in the UK to find one that fits the Maxim, to no avail, can I ask where the rack on yours was purchased from? Failing that would you sell the rack from your bike seperately? (preferably to me? Hehehe) if you wish to sell the rear carrier/rack, could you give me a price, and approximate shipping cost to the UK?
Thanks

Merlin
Merlin,
Thanks for the interest, but I won't be parting anything out at this time. Unfortunately, the rack was put on so long ago, I don't had any information for you about it.

Back