Aftermarket mufflers on stock headers?

Vigo The Carpathian

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey all. I'm wondering what you all can show me in the way of aftermarket mufflers using the stock headers.

I'm not exactly wild over the Mac 2-1 I've seen floating around, plus they're a bit more than I'd like to spend. I'm looking to remove the stock megaphones (and the h-pipe connecting) and replace them with some reverse cones and maybe just do some high-temp black on the stock headers. Who has gone this route?

I have...JC Whitney has some good mufflers at decent prices. I've used the shorty reverse tip megaphones the most. Good quality and they sound good too...

Eric

What's your price range? I got my mac 2-1 for $180 shipped I believe.

Most decent looking aftermarket mufflers I have seen start at $100 a set. Of course you can get some much smaller mufflers for less, but I am talking stock size and something of similar style.

It is possible you'll have to jet for any muffler you put on. Do not attempt this job without expecting to have to tune the carbs. If you don't end up needing to jet consider it a happy unexpected surprise. I know in general this is often the goal everyone has when replacing pipes; doing it without jetting. Plan to have to.

Think twice about removing the exhaust cross over pipe. That pipe may not look like much, but it improves the torque curve, and allows quieter mufflers to be used while maintaining good flow (by using both mufflers for each exhaust pulse) for top end horse power.

Without the cross over pipe you will loose some mid range power and have to run free flowing (loud) mufflers to maintain the top end power. Neither are good for a street bike.

@bcware, if I could find the Mac being sold as ONLY the header pipe without that megaphone they include with it, I'd be more into it, but I really don't want to shell out more money for the muffler that I won't use. Plus, I keep seeing it for around $260. My motivations are mainly cosmetic, and for that kind of money, I'm not too crazy about the routing, either.

I'm not really after any performance gains, as lame as it sounds. The speed aspect to me is entirely secondary to it looking how I want it.

Back