All seems good, but not starting...

Maxim-umm

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
Hi All,
I"m new to the site and, first, would like to thank you all for the info you have provided to myself and others. Just a warning, this will probably be a longer post....

A little background on my project. I have a 1982 XS400J that currently does not run. Things I have done:

-checked the compression (140psi), did not check the valves since the compression was good.
-New plug wires, caps, and plugs.
-Fresh fuel
-rebuilt TCI unit and good spark on left side, spark on right, but seems weaker.
-Checked the coils (resistance appears within tolerances)
-charged the battery overnight on the charger (not a new battery, but voltages check out).
-checked timing (P/O had it 180 off...)
-Completely disassembled and cleaned/rebuilt carbs

I've had this bike running on just the left side (before I fixed the timing...), but now I can't even get it to start. If anybody has any ideas on what to check/try next, I'm game. If this baffles all, then I'll just start over from the beginning and see if I overlooked some minor step.

Thank you for taking the time to read this long post, but I just wanted to give as much detail as I could before asking for help.

welcome to the site Max.

try spraying some "easy start" in the carbs and see if it fires/back fires.

Re-check that timing again as the PO might have put the cam in 180' out!

if it does fire a bit, its probably a fuel delivery problem.

let us know how you get on.

I agree with what drewpy says, but I would be tempted to going back to the timing the way you found it, then try spraying starting fluid in the side that was not firing. If it fires, it's fuel, not timing. Mine fired on the left side only for a long time and it took 5 carb cleanings (including a good boiling) before I got it to fire on both cylinders.

drewpy, Hough - thanks for the quick replies and advice. I'll try them out tomorrow. First with "new" timing, then back to old timing (with sufficient rest between so I don't blow it up). I'll post any findings when I can :)

Ok, here's an update. Tried shooting some starter fluid into the carbs with timing "fixed" and also back to previous settings. Nothing happened for either setting. Next, tried shooting fluid directly into compression chambers to see if I had proper spark inside. Previous timing set = rough putter, "Fixed" timing = smooth putter. Neither picked up and kept running so my next shot is to re-clean the carbs. I have some Berryman's Chem-dip that I used before. I also came across "boiling" the carbs. Has anyone tried this? Are there any hints/tips I should be wary of before an attempt (if I even attempt it)?

Thanks for sticking with me on this, it's been a rough ride the last couple months trying to get her up and running.

Yep- looks like you were right about the timing and it's just not getting gas. That's what mine was doing. Also, have you adjusted the idle mixture screws? I know the manual says something like 1.25 to 1.5 turns out, but try it at about 3 turns out and adjust from there.

Good luck!

my next shot is to re-clean the carbs. I have some Berryman's Chem-dip that I used before. I also came across "boiling" the carbs. Has anyone tried this?

not sure if you've ever heard of using pine-sol, but ill swear by it. i only have to clean carbs once with this method and have done it numerous times. works great!

oh by the way, pine-sol is rubber friendly so you dont have to worry about getting every rubber piece out before soaking.

I have never tried Pine Sol, but i have boiled my carbs. I stripped everything off i could, the boiled them in 1/4 vinegar to water for about 2 hours, turning the carbs into different positions every 20 minutes or so so that every side of the carb is "up" at some point. Worked for me.

i might have to try that. it beats waiting 3-4 days while the carbs soak in pine-sol. the wife will be really happy with me until she realizes im not cooking dinner.. haha

I've been married for over 18 years and the marriage has survived the aforementioned carb boiling, a countless number of parts having the paint cured in the oven and the disappearance of mixing bowls to become part of my vibratory tumbler. In exchange, today, I planned on un-winterizing the bike to get it ready to ride. Instead, i find myself replacing the water heater. I think we've just about gotten used to each other.

I've been married for over 18 years and the marriage has survived the aforementioned carb boiling, a countless number of parts having the paint cured in the oven and the disappearance of mixing bowls to become part of my vibratory tumbler. In exchange, today, I planned on un-winterizing the bike to get it ready to ride. Instead, i find myself replacing the water heater. I think we've just about gotten used to each other.

I stunk the house out with spray painting in the kitchen, too cold outside :D she loves me really!!

Hey! Just a quick update on what's up. I boiled the carbs last night, actually saw a few flecks of gunk floating around the water when I was done. Used the compressor to blow out all the passages and whatnot on each part and put it all back together. Looks like it'll be a couple days before I get to test out the carbs (waaaay too cold in the garage and busy with work) but I'll post up the results as soon as I get them.

On a side note, I realized I haven't thanked everyone for the "welcomes," so...Thank you for the warm welcomes. This is why I enjoy coming to these sites, everyone is kind and courteous and willing to actually give some advice instead of telling me to just "read the manual." Again, thanks for sticking with me, I appreciate it.

Ok, so I'm back. Put the carbs on after bench sync and float check. Freshly charged battery and a few Hail Mary's then pushed the button. She fires, dies. Try again and boom! She's grumblin with love. Now, she's running again, but I've hit another issue...

She idles fairly well (haven't done any fine tuning yet), but when I try to give her some throttle, she misses. Only the left side seems to be firing, the right misses or doesn't fire at all. I haven't gone through and done any checks yet since I only had a short time to test. So, if anyone has any ideas on what the new issue is I'd love to hear them. Thanks for the support, I can almost taste victory...

Tried one more turn in and out, neither fixed the situation. Still miss firing on right side. I think I'm going to recheck the compression (might have overlooked something) next and go from there unless there are any other ideas floating around... :)

Back