Am I in over my head?

Slapfunk

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Ok, so today I was offered 2 identical xs400's for free. the catch? they are both sitting in parts and have been for undisclosed amount of time. I am assured there are enough parts to create 1 good bike. I don't know what year they are but i guess it wouldn't be too hard to find out with vin and so on. I'm very new to bikes and I'm not sure if this is too big a project to dive into straight off but they're free. SO any advice you guys have would be fantastic!

Do they have papers if so you can sell the frames for good money. Free parts you can always sell for cheap and make money.:thumbsup:

Did you get a bill of sale or title? One or both is usually required to register a bike, but it varies by state.

If you're persistent and willing to learn I think you'll be fine. These bikes don't seem terribly complicated, but that is assuming the engine won't require a rebuild. Another painful process can be restoring the carbs; with no experience expect to have to take them off the bike a dozen times before you get everything right. It isn't too bad, but knowing what to expect is always nice.

Other than that there are threads on here covering most common issues quite extensively. Grab a shop manual from on here, or buy one. If you have a center stand most assembly will be easy, but if you don't, like me, you'll need to figure out a way to safely lift the bike off the ground at some point.

Thanks for the info, I guess I'll have to have a look at the bikes and see exactly what kind of condition they are in. I have no clue what exact model or year they are so I guess I'll go have a look, can't hurt for free. I might take some pics and post them. As for registration and titles I think the laws are a bit different here in Australia. Also since they are in parts, technically I'm not buying a vehicle? I'll have to look into that side of it I guess.

I just picked up a completely locked up KZ400 the other day for free. Sold the carbs for $65, valve adjustment caps for $10, and the starter clutch for $25......I never pass on free stuff

With little experience, I'd take them, clean everything, and sell the parts.

Unless you REALLY want to build a basket case, it's probably not worth it.

You can expect to spend in a perfect world:
  • ~$200 new tires/tubes
  • ~$50 new battery
  • ~$25 carb rebuild kits
  • ~$10 spark plugs
  • ~$30 oil change

In reality:
  • ~$200 Tires
  • ~$50 battery
    +$50-$100 in misc wiring parts to replace the rotted/broken/burned/missing connectors and the fuse block that is 100% guaranteed to be f'd up.
    +$50-$200 on used or new regulator/rectifier/stator/coil/ trying to chase down charging problems.
  • ~$25 carb rebuild kits
    +$50 for the torn/rotted diaphragms
    +$20 for an o-ring kit (if you can find one)
    +~$35 for the cracked/rotted carb boots
  • ~$50 to refurbish, or buy a used seat to replace the cracked up original.
  • ~$30 oil change
    +$15 for a new oil filter bolt to replace the stripped out one on the bike

And this is assuming the engine/trans are in working order, and the bike is complete. There are hundreds of dollars more to be spent depending on what else needs to be done.

I'm not trying to discourage you in any way. I've got more than I ever intended invested in my wifes xs400. I'll NEVER get back what I've put into it, but I still enjoy it. I know what's been done, what needs to be done, and what I want to do next. I just want to let you know what you can expect to run into, and how much money it can cost in the blink of an eye. Free bikes are rarely cheap.

@Ebola Monkey

Thanks for the heads up, this is the kind of info i was looking for, I think I'll give it a go. From what I'm told there are TWO COMPLETE bikes in parts. Still haven't witnessed them so untill then I won't know whether this is a restoration job or just a clean and scrap job. I'm quite keen to have a go at restoring a bike as I need to learn about bike maintenance and so on and I figure with anything the best way to learn is to drop yourself in the deep end. I'm going to go have a good look and probably pick up everything this weekend so I'll post some pics in a couple of days.

With little experience, I'd take them, clean everything, and sell the parts.

Unless you REALLY want to build a basket case, it's probably not worth it.

You can expect to spend in a perfect world:
  • ~$200 new tires/tubes
  • ~$50 new battery
  • ~$25 carb rebuild kits
  • ~$10 spark plugs
  • ~$30 oil change

In reality:
  • ~$200 Tires
  • ~$50 battery
    +$50-$100 in misc wiring parts to replace the rotted/broken/burned/missing connectors and the fuse block that is 100% guaranteed to be f'd up.
    +$50-$200 on used or new regulator/rectifier/stator/coil/ trying to chase down charging problems.
  • ~$25 carb rebuild kits
    +$50 for the torn/rotted diaphragms
    +$20 for an o-ring kit (if you can find one)
    +~$35 for the cracked/rotted carb boots
  • ~$50 to refurbish, or buy a used seat to replace the cracked up original.
  • ~$30 oil change
    +$15 for a new oil filter bolt to replace the stripped out one on the bike

And this is assuming the engine/trans are in working order, and the bike is complete. There are hundreds of dollars more to be spent depending on what else needs to be done.

I'm not trying to discourage you in any way. I've got more than I ever intended invested in my wifes xs400. I'll NEVER get back what I've put into it, but I still enjoy it. I know what's been done, what needs to be done, and what I want to do next. I just want to let you know what you can expect to run into, and how much money it can cost in the blink of an eye. Free bikes are rarely cheap.

and if you polish anything on the bike.......:doh:

When I got mine I paid $1000 from a dealer. It was nice with new chain and sprockets tires tune up. Nice shape, but to restore it to original it took 12+ years and $1500 more dollars to get the right parts. I did this only because it is my first street bikes and want to pass it along to my son.:thumbsup:

OK So it turns out they are 2 1976 XS-500's both in the same original brown paint. They are in a pretty poor state but everything looks rust free and straight. I still haven't got the motors but I'll be picking them up this week, I'll post photo's when I have everything together. I'm told both engines do work. Both frames have wheels attached AND disc brakes. all the forward controls and cables look like they'll need replacing. I guess I'll know more when I get the rest of the parts.

The plate on one of the frames has the code 6/76 IJ3-008726 I don't know if that can tell me any more about the bike but there it is.

keep an eye out for the heads, they have a perchant for cracking near the exhaust valves. Yamaha updated the heads with a one piece later on.

these were Yams first foray into the dohc arena and was such a learning curve for them!

I can't imagine that you will be able to put it on the road legally if you don't start with a title. The parts are worth having and selling but i wouldn't "build" anything till i have a legal title in my name.

Don't want to be a downer but i've seen too many guys with waisted efforts on builds they can never legally ride.

Back