Anyone heard of a 5GZ15 needle for the BS34?

larsbar

XS400 Member
Reaction score
My canadian 1980 XS400 special has a 271 y-4 needle jet, and an adjustable 5gz15 needle. I am trying to set up the jetting for my pod filters and am ordering 45 and 47.5 pilots, and 137.5, 140 and 142.5 mains. I would like to order the right needle and needle jet, but I can't figure out which one it would be, or how it would compare to mine. It seems like mine is a little leaner than the 5I series that mikesxs sells for the 650, which would make sense for a 400, but I am really not certain. A google search for 5GZ15 yields no useful results!

So if anyone has any info on this needle, please let me know.

Thanks
Lars

Last edited:
The needles that came out of my '78 carbs (with adjustable clip positions) say 5Z1 on them. The only place in North America I was able to find replacement needles in stock was in a large Keyster kit sold my Sirius Consolidated. This kit says it contains a Y264 slide needle.

http://www.siriusconinc.com/pro-detail.php?pid=&product_id=712

The only difference in this kit is probably the main jet size as far as applicability to 1980 goes. I could be wrong though, so it's best to have someone else confirm if it will all fit.

In general I don't think many people change the needles for pods and exhaust (especially if it is already adjustable), but sometimes people adjust the clip position.

Hmmm, I guess that that means that this needle is probably stock, because if it can't be bought anywhere it has to be stock, and there are other hard to find needles as well that were stock.
I think I will just get the other jets in that case and see how it goes.
Thanks for the info.

Back