Backwards Progress

kasper

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, Iv been putting in a lot of time and work into my '81 xs400 but things arnt going too well. When I first started it up after doing some basic maintenance it started, it idled and all was well. The next day it started easily enough but it couldnt hold the idle, it would wind down and die after a few seconds. So i took off the carb, gave it a good clean, and put it back on. After putting the carb back on yesterday, the bike still started but only for a split second before it died.

Today the bike doesnt start at all. I keep my battery fully charged so i know thats not the problem. What really drives me crazy is that it seemed to work fine on that first day. Im at a loss and starting to get really discouraged.

However there is one thing that i noticed.. When i did the oil change i had the oil up to the marker line. Now i figured that if anything, the oil level would go down once i fired the bike up, but it actually went up. Its past the line on the sightglass, and my "oil" light is always red when i turn the key on the bike. Could gasoline be mixing with the oil? My petcock is slightly leaky (something i noticed when i was putting the carb back on, the tube was dripping gasoline even thought the petcock was in the "on" position). I do have a petcock repair kit on the way but I cant see that fully solving my problem. I really dont know what else to do, and any help would be greatly appreciated.

-kasper

Attachments

• Photo 2012-04-20 1 58 25 PM.jpg
    Photo 2012-04-20 1 58 25 PM.jpg
    305.2 KB · Views: 170
Oil light will stay on until the bike is running, and typically for a couple seconds after that until it shuts off if oil pressure checks out - so don't worry about that.

Pull the dipstick and look at/smell the oil. It will be pretty obvious if there's gas in there.

Back